HybridZ

240z suspension questions

I'm at the point on my 240 project where the last thing there is to really do is to drop it and I want to know a couple things. I'm searching along the lines of coil over kits and I've heard a lot of people talking about the ground control set up. So I checked them out and the price seems pretty decent, but I'm just not sure how they work exactly. Before you check out, they ask you to choose the type of strut you will be using and I noticed they include a "stock" selection.

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/gc6015-01

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has the ground control springs with the stock strut set up. I know you have to do a little fabrication but I would rather know how to do it before I buy anything. They say you have to remove the stock spring seat...then what? I was also wondering, because I'm planning on dropping my car atleastttt 2 inches, if I really need to buy camber plates. How much camber would that drop produce (with a 2 inch drop)?

Yorgee,

All the answers to your questions can be research in the archive files however, its X-mas time and I feel like giving!

Basically, if you intend to lower your Z approximately 2", you will want to section the strut housings. Why? If you don't you will end up with very little bump travel (compression) and alot of droop travel. It is recommended to section 1 1/2" from the strut housing, which then requires the use of shorter dampers. Of course, it all comes together with the coilover install when you lower the ride height. What you will end up with is a better balance of travel in bump and droop travel, albeit both will be less than a stock setup but you'll have more useable bump travel. Yes you will need some method of adjusting the camber as you will gain a bunch of negative camber when you lower the Z that much. How do I know this....been there done that!!! Anyway, how that you have a taste of what is involved, spend some time and search the archive on this subject to gain even more knowledge on this conversion. Oh, one other tid bit for you....if you intend to run wheels at the rear that are wider than 7" you may have to use a rear spring with an 8" free-length as opposed to the standard 10" free-length spring. And Ground Control can provide you with the p/n for the shorter dampers.....and don't forget to use a 1" bumpsteer spacer.

Happy hunting!

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom! and my bad for not searching around for the info myself but I needed some info fast because I was thinking about just buying some shorter springs at Motorsport on friday, and I just wanted to be sure because I'm new to all the suspension adjustments and all that. Now I know i'll need a lot more than just some springs.

Thanks again.