HybridZ

Which Air Compressor to get? *xmas gift to me*

Guest 280ZForce

Hey John, what size hose do you recommend for air tools? I have this huge compressor (i cant remember the specifics), and i find it funny that it wont power my air tools. Its not that it runs out of air, it seems as if its not providing enough air. Maybe the hose i am using is too small for air tools?

Any of the Harbor Freight 3/8" hoses should be fine for probably 95% of the stuff you will ever use.

Some of the larger impact guns and impact tools will need a larger hose for flow, but if you have either a 1/4 or 3/8" I.D. on the hose, you should be fine for up to a 3/4" impact wrench spinning 1500 ft-lbs.

Come to think about it, I have an old "Cheap" Quincy sitting in a bucket out back... I'm waiting for the POS Oil-Free Devilbiss to crap out so I can do exactly like John said: Mount it using a new Baldor Motor and use the tank and regulation system... Then again I have two brand new Atlas Copco Heads as well, a 3HP LE3, and a 7HP LE5. Man, I should mount those before the Quincy, they are one step up from the Oil Free Crap Recips they sell all over nowadays.

I digress...

Guest 280ZForce
I have said that in the past' date=' but everybody wants "new" stuff.

OH CRAP!

Hey, You're in Corona, RIGHT?

GO TO COLE-CO COMPRESSOR off Smith & Commerce Street. Ask for "Red". Tell him Tony Dighera sent you over.

I am SURE he will have something laying around the shop that he can work you a deal on. I will be going to his company christmas party tomorrow, I'll ask him if he has something along the lines of what JohnC was suggesting.

BIG D'OH! I completely spaced on the fact you were in Corona. Red is a good guy, he should be able to find something for you if you can wait.

He formerly worked for the Quincy Distributor, and even though I work for I-R, I would have to say the Quincy QRD series compressors are probably one of the best small reciprocating units ever made. They are about the only ones still constructed with a FORCE FED oil system that incorporates a FILTER![/quote']

Yeah Tony, I'm in Corona...you've been to my house before about a year ago for a Z gathering.

I'll wait to hear from ya on what you can find out for me. I'm guessing I'm looking by recommendation on this thread for something that is oil fed with 5+ hp and 60+ gallons?

Thanks Tony.

For the budget, I always see a HF upright ~25G for around $159. It looks like it's cast iron cylinder. That size should be good for most jobs, like nailers, impact gun, light-moderate grinding, etc...

However if you plan on running sander, die grinder, or paint spray much, you're going to need something bigger. If the compressor is not shutting off, you're overworking it. I killed my 20G 25yr old Craftsman by using a die grinder non stop last winter. The reed valves in the compressor head broke (I repaired it once before.) I could still buy parts for it, ran $50 bucks. All in all, it lasted a good long while. I now have a 60G unit.

RE: Hose and connections

I ran into bottlenecks all over the place. The hose ID looks good, but at the crimp it's smaller than 1/4! I ended up splicing in some 3/8 barbed NPT plugs and cutting off the factory crimps. I know it looks ghetto, but I KNOW I get more air. The 3/8 Automotive style quick couplers also improve flow over the normal 1/4 stuff. It's a whole nother head ache making sure everything is compatible. Same style coupler between manufacturers don't always mix well. I can't stand a leaky coupling! That hissing drives me crazy!!!!!!!