HybridZ

T5 tranny's

Guest ZbeGON

I know that earlier 90s mustangs GTs had T5 trannys, and turbo z31s had borg and warner T5s as well. besides the input shafts what else is different? will a small ford engine like the 302 bolt onto a z31 T5 if you swap the input shafts?

Short answer No.

The spline and input shaft length are different, besides which the Nissan tranny is not as strong. Best are 90-93 or 94-95 (but need the year specific bell housing on the latter, 5/8" longer input shaft). With regard to swapping the input shaft, Nissan used specific gear ratios as well and you would probably need to change all of the gears. This was the case when I tried to convert a 300ZX T-5 for use in my 280 by changing the input shaft. Lay shaft and gears were different.

Good luck

It i possible to mate just about any tranny with any motor, the way it is done is by making an adaptor plate.

The theory is that the plate is cut drilled and tapped so that it can be first bolted onto the engine, then the tranny is linned up and bolted to the plate (obviously these holes need to be tapped). The plate is usally made out of steel and less commonly aliminium.

the main considerations are:

- input shaft has to be long enough to enter the bush at the flywheel.

-tranny and engine centerlines must be accurately located

-and also make sure that you can get a clutch pressure plate that goes onto the vg30 flywheel but accomdates a clutch plate which fits on the input spline

Its a ♥♥♥♥ job but in most cases can be done

• 1 month later...

since i work as a ford tech i tried bolting a l28 zxt t5 bellhousing to a mustang t5.wouldnt work.the input bearing retainer on mustang t5 is slightly larger-but could be machined down.didnt get past that part.but if my turbo engine starts shredding the 82 na trans it will have to be switched to world class t5.

The T-5s out of mustangs are junk anyway. EVERY one of my friends with mustangs that are stock or close to stock have popped their transmissions, had them rebuilt, popped them again. Always seems to be 3rd gear too. If you are going to spend the money on swapping parts on the tranny and making an adapter plate, why not step up to a TKO500 and have a trans that can take pretty much anything a stock block 302 can throw at it before it splits down the middle.

• 11 months later...
Guest schepebc

i know plenty of T5's from mustang that last, if your going to throw 300+ horse's to it then thats different, but a basic stock motor is fine. When i was starting to redo my old 5.0 i got a killer deal on a TR3550, other than that i wouldnt have dicked with it until i broke the 300hp line...which wasnt soon after haha