HybridZ

evaporation tube question

V8_DatZun

Bad Idea! K&N makes a small "keychain" filter that will fit nicely on the 8mm pipe. If you simply plug it, and the rest of your tubes and hoses are properly sealed, you will suck a vacuum in the tank...to the point where the filler neck will collapse and in some extreme cases the tank will somewhat collapse (if you have a really good pump. If you have just an average pump, it will simply stop delivering fuel under cruise conditions, you run lean, start bucking, and wonder "WTF" as you coast to the roadside, unable to get it restarted. Then you hear a gian sucking sound when you open your gas cap, and then it mysteriously restarts without a problem for another 30 or so highway miles, until it does it again...

Or so I'm told...I would never just plug it off! Not me! Never never never...

Word of warning to the wise.

You don't need a carbon cannister per-se, but you do need a way for air to get back into the tank as the fuel is sucked out of it. If your vent hoses are all leaking and broken up like most people's, you will never experience the above. But if you then later seal everything up tight, and go for a long drive you will hear the familiar refrain: "I've driven all over with that line plugged for years and never had this problem before!" Then you suddenly remember you just changed your vent hoses and the realization hits you....

Good Luck!