HybridZ

Dash help

datsun280zx81

I have a 1981 280zx 2+2 that I swapped the non turbo motor to a turbo motor and now have swapped the anolog dash for a digital 1983 dash. The temperature sensor isn't reading right and the tach isn't turning on. If I read correctly I should replace the sensor for the temperature reading in the thermostat housing but what do I do to make the tach work? Thanks for looking/your help.

I might have to change that speed sensor for it to work. Good call. On the harness I have the new one thanks for the info. The guy I bought my dash from had the entire dash completely together in mint condition so all the harnesses were hooked up and there. I just need to figure out what sensors to replace. Thanks for both of your help. That was a lot faster than I thought.

The stock digital dash Tach uses a blue wire from the ign. coil that runs through a resistor before going to the dash harness. There is NO speed sensor for the tach, the speed sensor built into the dash is for the speedometer and the VOICE warning system. Tach wire is on the neg. side of the ign. coil.

So the tach wire runs from the - side of the Ign. Coil through the fire wall to what part of the wiring harness? Or does it it have to go straight to the tach itself? My next question was going to be getting the VOICE warning system running. As I understand it it plays through the center or left speaker. Is that correct? I just found out last night that it isn't hooked up. Both of the front ones are disconnected right now.

From the ign. coil it runs inside the drivers side of the car and through a resistor then a Blue with a white or green stripe to the dash harness, I can't remember the exact locations of the plugs. The voice warning operates through the left front speaker, if someone installed an after market stereo they probably cut it off or screwed it up (fried it) The only alarm that operates with the car standing still is the "lights on alarm" by turning on the lights and opening the drivers side door. The moduel for the voice system is over the pass. side rear wheel well, remove the spare cover it's in there.

OK then, find the controler at the back of the car, turn on your headlights or parking lights open the drivers side door, leave the door open, go to the controler and you can hear it running and a relay clicking, if the speaker is connected you should hear a chime sound followed by" lights on".

Up front at the radio harness the controler speaker wires are colored Yellow/Red and Yellow/Black these should go to the front left speaker (drivers side). All the other warnings require that the car be moving. Good luck.

I thought that the controller for the voice was in the dash. I guess I will need to pick that up from the parts car on Saturday. Thanks for the info again. I haven't had a chance yet to play with the tach because I got in some 280z wheels that I am cleaning up. The black/silver wheels will look better on my black Z vs. the gold/silver ones. I'll let you know if that makes the tach and the talking lady work.