HybridZ

ms ignition problem

260zturbo

i have megasquirt running throwing no code errors now with the laptop hooked up. ok here is the problem i go turn the key and low and behold no spark. i have a zxt dizzy(red wire=12v,black=ground,green=not used,white=tach input on relay board) my msd is a 6al (new) and a msd blaster 2(new) i did test msd. rub the white wire on the chaise and unplug the wire from dizzy to coil to see spark. i found out the hard way that my msd is working. i acidently hit the chaise with the white wire while holding the coil to dizzy wire.....WOW talk about a nice little :fmad: but it works. i took the dizzy off spun it watched to see if the coil would send spark on the wire and it didnt. did hook up msd white wire back up. on megatune i did notice my rpms moving so i dont think i have a bad turbo dizzy. while turning the the dizzy my fuel pump would kick on. Msd is wired up just like the diagram on its back and the white wire off msd goes to fidle...in ms i have fidle has spark output a. im trying to think what else is needed but i would greatly appreciate any help. the more i work with the more i fill like im getting close but damn how i want this thing to fire up already.

Make sure the white wire of the MSD is connected to FIDLE on the relay board, and make sure you have a wire in your cable from MS to relay board for FIDLE.

I'm assuming you have a v2.2 board since you say you are using FIDLE as the ignition output... so you should have

Spark Inverted = YES in Spark Settings and Dwell Duty to Fix - 50%

Verify that spark output is set for the "fidle function"

The dwell should be 50%.

What is your trigger angle set at? Do you get the middle LED to turn on when you are over an opening in the DIZZY? What does the voltage of the signal wire read when this happens? What pullup resistor are you using?

fast idle relay and run a jumper instead? sorry im still learning this could u explain in simple terms what i should do to check to see if this is done. i had a friend build my ms and relay. as far as trigger angle it is set at 65. im running another friends map and codes. just using his setup so it will start and ill be able to tune to my own. which pullup resistor do u mean? sorry about the questions just another noobie trying to get a z started.

All right, take a look at your relay board. There should be three sockets in there. Is there a relay in each socket? Or is the relay nearest the connector from the Megaquirt gone, and a length of wire in its place?

If there's a relay in there, that would mean you're trying to use the relay to drive the spark output, and relays don't work very well for that.

Guest dewayne gage

hello im very newbie and i need help with my 76 280 z the fuel pump stays on and the car will not run but if i spray starting fluid it will start but not stay running the car is all origenal with 76000 miles very clean car i paid 500. 6 months ago noone here will hep me and its my first z so i am lost

what ohm is that resistor? i not trying to complain but that picture is a little blury..and thank u for it makes stuff clear just see their is a wire going from the left side to the bottom and a resistor from the bottom to the top? is that right?

just went to go look at my relay board and i saw where u have the wire and resistor i have black box. ex u have the 2 box and one with wire w/ resistor while i have just 3 boxes. i know that black box can come off and show that 4 prong. so is the box part of my problem?

mswithharness1.jpg pic when i got it, of course its all wired up now.

Guest dewayne gage

i dont know to move to other forum icame here because it sounded like you guys could help with i know how to work on dodge and hondas this 280 z is beautiful so i couldnt pass it up

resistor is 2.2k.this might not be correct set up for msd.the relay is a standard bosch relay.fidle=fast idle.on ms version 2.2 you could use this circuit for either idle control or spark control-that version could not do both.i have heard version 3.0 will do both.print a diagram of relay board from msefi and study it.there is a tiny metal jumper just to the right of idle relay in the pick-that has to be set correctly.