HybridZ

Broken R200 VLSD?

Stevej

Anyone broken the innards of a vlsd?

I have a short nose R200 from a Q45 behind an LS1/6speed used primarily for autocrossing.

Decided to take it for a drive last week and had to have my wife come get me with the trailer.

Started to get a clunk in synch with the driveshaft revolutions and the car lost the ability to transfer the power to the wheels.

Once stopped couldn't move again, driveshaft spins the input flange on the diff, just makes a clunk won't transfer power.

Up on jack stand everything spins and drives the wheels as it should, looks like it's just under load the problem occurs.

Pulled the diff, thought the splines on the input shaft might have gotten worn and spun, nope.

No metal in the drain plug, nothing looks out of place or makes sounds with the back cover off.

If the innards of the vlsd get fried should it just lose the ls or will it completely stop transferring power.

I'll get another diff from the junkyard to confirm after the holidays, just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I'm also thinking about a cusco or a kaaz, anyone put one of these in a short R200 from a Q45?

Thanks

Steve, you don't mention what half shafts you are running. If you are using the halfshafts that use an inner CV's on both ends, I would bet that you are not using an end stop and have pulled one of the CV's out of the housing.

Put the rear of the car up and feel around the boot on the CV's. One will feel different that the rest. Pull that shaft apart and inspect the inner lip of the CV housing. It will be deformed. THe opposite end will have an end cap that is deformed.

If you are not using these shafts, check that stub axels.

Let us know what you found

Hey Mark.

I'm using the MM axles with the CV joints and I'm using the inner end stops.

I know what you were thinking though, without them the axle slips in and won't drive the wheel nor the car.

Steve

Check the axels anyway. I've had the axel move the other way also. I'm using stops on all 4 CV's now.

• 1 month later...