HybridZ

Won't Start

Guest RockyB12

Guest RockyB12

I posted this on zcar:

Well, Let me start off by tell you what has happened so far. My 84Z died about 1yr ago, broken timing belt. About 6months ago, I had pulled the motor to do a vg33e swap, but the engine I got was $hit. So, I pulled my vg motor apart, but it wasn't the orginal motor for my 84. The previous owner had put a 86 motor in it and it ran fine before the timing belt snapped. Inspecting my motor, I found that some of the valves on the right head broke and bent. The vg33e motor I bought came from a 02 frontier with oil starvation to the bottom end(only found out after tearing it down). Anyways, I took the heads out and rebuild my 86 bottom end using 02 heads with z31 cams. The bottom intake is from the 02 Frontier with side feed injectors. The upper intake is from the 86 motor so the hood can close. A little fabrication and wiring I've got the motor in and started on & off for 1 week now. The car started and ran only 50% good. This with open headers from the Frontier. After I finished my exhaust with my y-pipe to my stock muffler, I went to start it, it took alittle longer but it started. The next day(2 days ago) I went to start it and it won't start. Just to let you know there is no cat, egr or fuel temp unit. But the car started fine before. I've checked fuel, spark, timing, vacuum leaks, maf, ecu, tp, wiring, battery, and more. I believe the fpr might be bad, stuck open, causing the fuel to return to the tank to fast for the injectors. I thought it might be the ecu, because I have high impendance injectors running on a low impendance ecu. But it should still work fine. The injectors are obviously bigger cc's than stock 160-180cc. That will cause the engine to flood tho. Which it does a little but not enough to not have the car not to start. The strange thing is if you completely press the throttle to the floor it will almost start but won't. If you just try to start normally nothing. This leads me back to it might be flooded, because I believe if you hold the throttle to full it suppost to stop the injectors to fire. I need this car to run because my other car was totaled. Plus my boss does not want to have it sit at work. I don't know what else to do. Any help or suggestions will help. Thanks Rocky

P.S. I know this is very long.

Guest RockyB12

Hey, I did pull plug number 1 to put the motor to TDC. The plug was a little wet, but not excessive. That could have been caused my the numberous attempt to start it. My o2 sensor is not hooked up yet, but I ran my Se-r before without one which puts the ecu into open loop mode. My Coolant head tempature switch is relocated into the coolant pipe and the single wire coolant sensor isn't hooked up yet. I went thru my harness again and check for vacuum leaks, nothing. The CHTS was relocated because the 02 Frontier head has no place for it on the head. The 02 Frontier upper rad. hose neck I used with the lower intake with the Frontier's injectors. On the frontier's neck there are 2 spots for the coolent temp sensors. One sensor is what the computer uses to control the fuel during cold start and the other single wire coolant sensor is for your temp gauge. The injector size I'm using? I have no clue. I talked to my local Nissan dealers and they could not tell me. I believe they might be 259cc like I would find on my old se-r but the tops are pink not red like my 259cc. I've had 370cc purple top injectors on my se-r before, but no one could tell me about how much cc those pink top injectors are.

Guest RockyB12

I do not think these injectors are 370cc. The injectors are the same as the Quests, Newer Pathfinders, Frontiers & Xterras all with the vg33e motors. The injectors are the same one here with the fuel rail and lower intake manifold pictured here: http://www.thespecshop.com/gallery/TSSSC%20001.jpg I would like to say they are about 259 cc.

Your picture shows the manifold with the super charged version of the vg33e. I believe that again maybe 370cc. If not 259cc still means you are flowing 60% more fuel than stock.

Edit: I can't find the site which listed them as 370cc's plus I see that the NA ones are pink too(http://replacement.car-stuff.com), but are not the same as the Super charged versions which are not list for sale on that site. Regardless, I think its a good bet that your injectors flow enough fuel prevent your engine from starting.

Guest RockyB12
So you put vg33 heads on a vg30. I though that was not posable.

Yeah, I used the vg33 heads on my vg30. All the ports matched some where slightly different shape but not to much to cause a problem. I'm going to change the lower intake tomorrow with the stock injectors and see if it works. I don't see why it still won't start. I used 370 cc injectors with out a O2 sensor on my Se-r for a month without a piggyback or jwt ecu and never had a problem starting it. That is before I turboed it. I'll try putting as much stock parts back on to see if I can get it running. I've been without a car since Sept. and it's not fun with winter here.

"I thought it might be the ecu, because I have high impendance injectors running on a low impendance ecu."

have you tried running dropping resistors yet? i mean, you know thats you're supposed to use LOW impedence injectors right so logic would tell me to fix what all you know is wrong and go from there...just me two cents :)

*edit*

oh yea, if you dont have a FSM, go here and download one and pull the codes. good luck!

Guest RockyB12
have you tried running dropping resistors yet? i mean, you know thats you're supposed to use LOW impedence injectors right so logic would tell me to fix what all you know is wrong and go from there...just me two cents :)

I don't need drop resistors because my ecu is low impendence. The signal the ecu is sending out are low voltage. So, the high impendence injectors can still fire. IF I had a high impendence ecu then I would need to use a drop resistor to drop the voltage to the injectors if those injectors where still low impendance. I did figure out the problem why it wouldn't start. The plugs I put it where for the Frontier at a low range. So, I put some 300zx plugs and started right up. Thanks for all the help.

Rocky