HybridZ

What does this cable do?

memmert

I have looked in the Chiltons manual and done some online searching but I can't seem to find out what's up with this cable?

It comes out of the firewall just under the hood latch and snakes down a few feet until it terminates (broken, rubbed off from dragging or whatever) and is tied to the lower front strut brace with a piece of wire to keep it from dragging. It was like that when I got it and I just noticed it yesterday while poking around under the hood trying to get a handle on how tough a clutch replacement is going to be.

Any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated. if for some reason the pic doesn't show up here is the location http://home.earthlink.net/~emmerthouse/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cable.jpg

cable.jpg

Looks like a ZX by the cruise control cable. I'm not overly familiar with the automatics, but it might be a kick down cable for an automatic. If it's not an auto it could have been at one time and they did the 5 speed swap and that was just left over.My fairlady is an auto, I can look tonight and compare with my DD if no one else comes up with anything.

I guess I should have put some basic info in with the original post. The cruize control is a good logical guess though I thought I tested the cruize control before and it worked? maybe not.

It's a bone stock 1983 280zx (non turbo) with I am assuming an original 5 speed transmission. It does have Cruize control, air, etc.

The thing has all sorts of little problems due to it's age. and being neglected. I picked it up for free (not running) and had a clutch slave cylinder put in and did a basic tune up on it and have been driving it to work every since. There are only a few things I need to get it usable as a good daily driver like the heater doesn't blow up to the dash very well but blows like a furnace down in the foot well regardless of the controls on the dash, the back wiper and defrost doesn't work (haven't looked for a fuse yet though), the dimmer switch will turn the lights on and off all night and drain the battery if I don't leave it on high beam mode. The speedo doesn't work, A bunch of pesky stuff like that.

Of all the things running through my head that that cable could possibly attach to the speedo wasn't one of them. The idea of that cable dragging along on the ground for a couple months until it was just a ragged piece of plastic sheath and THEN someone taking the time to wire it up so it didn't drag anymore somehow makes me laugh. Well laugh until I have to track down another one and figure out how to get it installed anyway.

Hmm Well at least now I know.

Thanks a million for crawling around and tracing that thing for me.

Soo... you have an 83 parts car ehh.... does it happen to have a speedo cable on it? wanna part with it? you don't happen to have a spare distributor you want to part with either eh? I want to rebuild mine but I don't want to do it on my working dizzy in case I muck it up.