HybridZ

select fit engine bearings-how to get size on mixed parts

randy 77zt

You mic the journals and buy the appropriate bearing shells. If you're really picky you may have to buy two or three sets of shells to get ideal clearances across every journal. Once the crank is in the block you have to plastigage each journal to ensure proper clearances. Are you using any kind of machine shop or hoping to piece this together without any machine work?

I would take the crank to a machine shop and have it turned down a size, to ensure proper clearances. The process that ezzzzzzz mentioned seems like it will work, but it also sounds like a headache.

Heh heh.. not as much of a headach as a few wrong sizes on the crank bearings would cause.. motor go boom.. probly destroy crank in the process.. another motor rebuild.. ugh.. I'd say do it right the first time. :)

Heh heh.. not as much of a headach as a few wrong sizes on the crank bearings would cause.. motor go boom.. probly destroy crank in the process.. another motor rebuild.. ugh.. I'd say do it right the first time. :)

I definately agree, I've got two L24's one I've been building and one i just pulled out.

The one I had been building had a machined crank, .10 under. The old motor had a stock crank, but no telling how much wear, probably 216,000 miles on it.

I debated for a long time about putting the old crank and bearings in the new engine to save time and money, but finally decided to put the machined crank and new oversized bearings.

Better to take your time, send a little money and be safe about it in the long run than to mix and match and risk blowing an engine you just built.