HybridZ

Yanking

specialk

I'm (hopefully) minutes away from pulling the engine from an 86NA/5spd donor. I have 1 quick question that maybe I'll get lucky enough to get an answer to.

Anyway, I've got nearly everything off the engine; wires, hoses, plenum; as well as the transmission. The exhaust is out of the way and the drive shaft has been dropped.

If I raise just the front of the car, will there be sufficient clearance to slide the engine and tranny out as a unit?

Not out yet, I found out that the driveshaft uses 14mm bolts on the flange to the differential, and of the 50+ wrenches that I have, not one of them is 14mm -- much less 2, which is how many I really need :(

Yeah, yeah, I said I had the DS out, I just couldn't fathom that there would be this problem.

Hopefully I'll get there today with 2 new wrenches (as well as all the rest of the crap I've been toting around) and get it out late this afternoon or early this evening.

Crap this sucks -- but, it's the pain we pay for a free drivetrain :)

IME 9/16 works well in place of a 14mm

:)

I thought so too, I was able to get one loosened, but the next one was just a little too tight and the fit was just a little too loose, it had me very concerned about rounding the edges :(

Since I've got three cars total that I'll be doing this too (3 removals and 2 installs) I'm just gonna get the wrenches; it's better for my heart that way.

The driveshaft will slide out of the transmission when you pull it out. But you'll still need the wrenches to remove it later if you need it in your other car.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing yesterday, but wasn't sure enough to risk it. I will need the DS when the manual goes into the 87, I'm assuming that it will just bolt up with those four fasteners, correct?

The driveshaft will slide out of the transmission when you pull it out. But you'll still need the wrenches to remove it later if you need it in your other car.

This reminds me of the first time I pulled the engine out of my car. I left the drive shaft connected because I knew it would simply slide out of the transmission if I pulled the engine and transmission together.

What I didn't know was how difficult it would be to try to slide the driveshaft into the transmission as the engine/transmission combo was comming down into place. (with the driveshaft bolted to the diff)

i was such a n00b. :(

Thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing yesterday, but wasn't sure enough to risk it. I will need the DS when the manual goes into the 87, I'm assuming that it will just bolt up with those four fasteners, correct?

Your assumption is incorrect. The companion flanges on the differentials are different because of the years. You'll either need to swap companion flanges, or find an 87-89 NA 5spd driveshaft.

This reminds me of the first time I pulled the engine out of my car. I left the drive shaft connected because I knew it would simply slide out of the transmission if I pulled the engine and transmission together.

What I didn't know was how difficult it would be to try to slide the driveshaft into the transmission as the engine/transmission combo was comming down into place. (with the driveshaft bolted to the diff)

i was such a n00b. :(

I feel your pain. That is NOT something I intend to do (but, then again, I've done swaps before and know (some) of what I can and cannot do).

Your assumption is incorrect. The companion flanges on the differentials are different because of the years. You'll either need to swap companion flanges, or find an 87-89 NA 5spd driveshaft.

Companion flange is the item attached to the differential (where the DS connects with those four bolts), correct? If they swap with relative ease, this is not a problem.

You know, on an American car/truck, the drive shaft goes between the transmission and the differential. On this car, that same item is called a propeller shaft (the drive shaft goes from the diffy to the wheel/rotor). Does that make any difference in any of the answers I'm getting?

driveshaft is the shaft that runs from the trans to the diff

Stub axles are the shafts that run from the diff to the wheels.

Nope, those are called halfshafts or "drive shafts" in Nissan shop manual lingo. The stub shafts are those things that run though the rear wheel bearings that connect the halfshafts to the rear wheels. Nissan calls these "axle shafts".

Translation table:

Standard American--- Nissan-ese

Drive Shaft------------- Propeller Shaft

Halfshaft (CV Axle)------ Drive Shaft

Stub Axle ---------------Axle Shaft

It's out!

The drivetrain is sitting on the floor of my garage relaxing. I'll be yanking the drivetrain out of the 87 (trashed automatic) this weekend and replacing it with this bad boy. I have a couple more parts to get from the donor (pedals, brake and clutch MC, etc), but I'm essentially ready.

Of course, I'll freshen up the t-belt, water pump and rear main seal though beforehand.

Thanks for all the help (and) Wish me luck!

I'm working on removing my engine and transmission from my '73 240Z as well. I figure the drive shaft (propeller shaft) will slide right out from the transmission, but what is the best way to get it back in when it comes time to re-install everything?

Is the best way to unbolt the drive shaft from the rear differential? The only way I can figure to do this is by removing the lower brace on the rear diff. Is this what I'm supposed to do?