HybridZ

Intercolled supercharger?

gretchen/jason

Ive read a few post about superchargers and intercoolers . Of course this is with EFI systems . I have a carb operated supercharger . The intake tubing is the same as a EFI system . All seald running dual 3 inch pipes for intake tubing with 2 K&N cone filters in front of the radiator .

would it be worth it . Would the air flow or boost be affected ? In the summer ive recorded air temps at the air box on the carb itself at about 100 degrees average maybe 110 at the most before it enters the supercharger .

in the winter time well about 40 degrees air temp . . It would be a nice mod if its worth doing the more mods the better i say or at least its fun talking about them at shows .

Jason

The problem with a carb'd SC setup is that you would be cooling the air/FUEL mixture. The cooling effect would cause the already vaporized fuel to break apart and you would end up having fuel droplets inside your intercooler. I can picture one nasty backfire blowing up your intercooler.

Hey Jason,

Not too sure what setup you are running but on my setup with the roots supercharger I have a fogger nos plate under the carbs set at a 175hp pills then use a nos progressive controller and have it set to only 20 % of the NOS. this is what I use as a intercooler and it picks me up another 150 rwhp. Weather temps really affect the super charger, if it is hot then we loose HP dur to heat, if it is cold we pick up HP. Just a 10 degree change in weather (cold) is worth about 50HP in my setup.

I can always change the pulley ratio for more boost or less depending on the weather, if it is hot then I under drive the pulleys, cold I overdrive and make awsome power.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with your supercharger.

John

For goldfish

Im running a SBC 350 with a weiand 144 series supercharger 750 cfm demon supercharger carb .

As for my intake plumbing i had hood clearance issues even with a all fiberglass hood with a 4 inch cowl scoop i got from a huy in california . So i went to a local sheet metal shop to have a " air filter box" made

basically its 11 inches across maybe more i forgot the exact number , 8 inches from front to back above the carb flange itself its 1 1/2 inches tall towards the front of the engine then rises to 2.25 inches in the rear .

As it goes towards the sides of the car and carb it drops down 4 1/2 inches to accept a 3 inch tube on each side of the carb . For a better idea take a bok and 2 shoe boxes seperate the shoe boxes a bit and set the book across them like a bridge same idea just looks better .

Then i ran a 3 inch exhaust pie that was slightly bent from just about the front strut tower all the way to the radiator support where the hole on the drivers side was for the stock AFM intake tube . Did the same on the passanger side as it had a hole from factory also .

As i cut out the stock 78 280z turn signals in the front i bought a 90 degree elbow from the auto store and called K&N for filters that flowed 600 cfm each and installed one on each side of the car . So instead of seeing turn signals behind the front grill ya now see 2 K&N air filters .

In the summer time i run without a hood as it hardly ever rains here and i use the intake setup like on a drag car with the 3 buterfly holes in them . The setup i have now is for winter time as a snow covered engine would suck .

How much boost does the weiand 144 series supercharger make?

I am sure it is similiar to mine, the more you overdrive the more boost it makes, but does increase heat which is bad. I was just curious...

John

PS: From your last post I think what you have done is a good idea, I am not sure if a Turbo intercooler would work. I know SuperChiller makes an intercooler than mount between the supercharge and intake for Marine purposes, but for my application it would raise the setup another 4 inches, and they are expensive at around $1800.00 new.

Well the weiand 144 comes with a 7 lb boost pulley which i believe the crank pulley is 6 inches the snout pulley 3 inches . But i live at 6,100 ft above sea level "THIN AIR SUCKS" so it produced 4 lbs of boost according to the boost gauge .

I now run a 2.5 inch snout pulley which is set for 10-12 lbs but up here its 8 lbs . I ordered a crate engine had it dynoed with no super charger and had 230 crank horses and 250 torque . Seeing as it had 290 horses when i ordered it not a bad loss for thin air .

Rear wheel HP with 4 lbs of boost was 265 with 285 in torque . I havent dynoed with 8 lbs but was told its probably 290 horse at the tire 330 in torque . I just had a set of heads done up and bench flowed to match a blower cam shaft . Im still running the stock cam with like a 410 lift new cam has 510 lift .

Id like to ask about the NOS set up ya have what brand is the fogger plate ? I have a bottle and solenoids just no plate lost it . And you say ya have a nos controller to regulate the spray ? Does it only let a certain amount of spray out of the jets ? ive thought of running a 100 shot but not sure im afraid of the big bang if ya know what i mean .

Had a NOS backfire on another car wow what a sight that was blew my air filter about 7 ft straight up in the air

Jason

------------------

AWWW poor evo got beat by a datsun

We run the NOS fogger plate made by NOS. Yes the NOS progressive control controls the amount of NOS by fluttering the Solinoids. Seach the NOS site at http://www.holley.com/division/NOS.asp. Here is a photo of the system.

NOSTurboAndSupercharger_thumb.jpg

Well the weiand 144 comes with a 7 lb boost pulley which i believe the crank pulley is 6 inches the snout pulley 3 inches . But i live at 6,100 ft above sea level "THIN AIR SUCKS" so it produced 4 lbs of boost according to the boost gauge .

I now run a 2.5 inch snout pulley which is set for 10-12 lbs but up here its 8 lbs . I ordered a crate engine had it dynoed with no super charger and had 230 crank horses and 250 torque . Seeing as it had 290 horses when i ordered it not a bad loss for thin air .

Rear wheel HP with 4 lbs of boost was 265 with 285 in torque . I havent dynoed with 8 lbs but was told its probably 290 horse at the tire 330 in torque . I just had a set of heads done up and bench flowed to match a blower cam shaft . Im still running the stock cam with like a 410 lift new cam has 510 lift .

Id like to ask about the NOS set up ya have what brand is the fogger plate ? I have a bottle and solenoids just no plate lost it . And you say ya have a nos controller to regulate the spray ? Does it only let a certain amount of spray out of the jets ? ive thought of running a 100 shot but not sure im afraid of the big bang if ya know what i mean .

Had a NOS backfire on another car wow what a sight that was blew my air filter about 7 ft straight up in the air

Jason

------------------

AWWW poor evo got beat by a datsun

• 8 months later...