HybridZ

uncovering a history of bad body work

Careless

They stopped using led filler a long time befor the 240z man lol.

I have to disagree, I had a guy come from a custom body shop that does all sorts of high end classic car work and look at my car and he said there is lead filler on most of the seams. I had the paint off part of my car like behind the quarter window and there was lead showing. I might be having them do some of my body work and he said to leave the lead if I do bring it out to them. My car hasnt had any work done on the body so I think they did use lead filler.

Guest TeamNissan

Alright I should have elborated on what I said. They stopped using led filler like on THIS car a long time befor the z.

I mean to be technical they do use led fill even to this day but for small stuff. Not huge welds and panels like in this case.

Alright I should have elborated on what I said. They stopped using led filler like on THIS car a long time befor the z.

I mean to be technical they do use led fill even to this day but for small stuff. Not huge welds and panels like in this case.

Ah ok, I thought you were saying no lead at all was used.

I believe thats lead filler. Looks like you got a big job ahead of you. Is that spoiler some home made contraption or do most wings have that chicken wire in them?

Nope, I know what lead filler looks like.. there's some on the top near where the quarter window b pillar and hatch meet.

This is like a dark grey body filler. I think it's a harder version of polyester filler with no fibreglass in it either.

but i got it off =)

now here's the list of stuff I need to get this build rolling:

RB30 engine + front sump pan

s14 front suspension + crossmember for RB mounting/measuring

frame rails

floor pans

quarters

inner fender wells

then when that's done:

homemade fibreglass flares

homemade fibreglass rear spoiler

home made fibreglass rear diffuser (contemplating weather I wanna do it still)

and then a side vent for the ITB's comin off the RB25 or 26 head

then electrical work, and MAYBE a cage (not sure if i want to go that route yet)

then ofcourse, misc parts here and there to make it drivable, like seats and such, but I can use the stock ones if i make some brackets to bolt them to the new floor and ♥♥♥♥.

I have a welder, a sheet metal bender (small, but will do the job), a lot of tools that I will need, and a certified mechanic for a room mate who's here to help along the way.

should be fun, I'm excited!

ETA: 1.5 years :D, or next fall/winter it should be in final prep stages for the beginning of 2009. maybe i'll come out on march break since there are some nice track events happening, and it would be a good shake down for the car =)

Good god, thats enough for me to scrap the whole car. Congrats on having the courage to continue working on it. It will make it that much sweeter when the car is finished.

it's mostly for the experience =)

hopefully most of you are here when it's done :D

I just have to say something. I'm pretty tired already from looking at those pictures. The mud work, if you can call it that, looks like something done by a goofy backyard wannabe bodyman. Hope the replacement quarter panels will help U unload the excess weight in the rear of the car. And if it helps at all, I've done some finishing work on some patches that had been welded in by the inexperienced "I'm Trying to Save Money' owner. It was n't much fun, but it did make me a better bodyman and teach me alot about patience. Remeber, anybody can replace a fender, it takes a bodyman to remake it.

I just have to say something. I'm pretty tired already from looking at those pictures. The mud work, if you can call it that, looks like something done by a goofy backyard wannabe bodyman. Hope the replacement quarter panels will help U unload the excess weight in the rear of the car. And if it helps at all, I've done some finishing work on some patches that had been welded in by the inexperienced "I'm Trying to Save Money' owner. It was n't much fun, but it did make me a better bodyman and teach me alot about patience. Remeber, anybody can replace a fender, it takes a bodyman to remake it.

i hear ya, I think the person who owned the car was teaching youngsters and let them do the work on it.

i'm not sure if he wanted to redo it or not, so maybe he just bondoed over it.

I don't care anyways. I got the panels now, and I'm going to cut out the entire rear and redo it.

I might have to do something funky with the door jamb, but who knows.