HybridZ

A fiberglass question for a hood scoop

I have a all fiberglass hood with cowl scoop from a guy in california . Thing is i need the scoop to be about 1 1/2 inches taller and the scoop itself 3 inches wider .Scoop i have now is 4 inches tall and i think the width is 25-30 inches wide i need one that is at least 5 3/4 of a inch tall .

Question is this . If i take a large piece of styrofoam and shap it to the shape of the cowl scoop itself but to my dimensions then overlay the foam with some sort of wax paper could i lay fiberglass on top of that to get the scoop i need .

In doing this i may get rid of te fiberglass hood and find a stock non vented hood to rivet the new scoop to or if im lucky attach it to my fiberglass hood then flip it over to cut out the smaller scoop .

jason

Since it sounds like you'd be cutting out the old scoop after the new is laid up, I'd do the following.

Cut the original scoop off, but in such a way that the angles and shape of the original scoop can be extended downward enough to bond the old scoop in a higher position than it currently is. If the sides have some draft or angle to them, then the base will be wider than it currently is, and will be wider the further up you set the original scoop

standard.jpg