HybridZ

No more Knock sensors LT1

I have an LT1 out for a 1994 impala ss, the one with 2 knock sensors going into my 240z.

I have just put my block hugger headers on, the ones from JTR, the sanderson ones. Well the outlet for the headers is right above the knock sensor on each side.

What have you guys done?

Put a nice heat sheild on one if not two of the sensors?

Run no knock sensors?

Relocate them some how?

I do have tuner cat and i think i can remove the knock sensors but i would like to keep them.

I did not have to do this on my car but I think some guys have moved them to the motor mounts some how.

I would keep them if you can. It's always nice to have the PCM still have control over stuff if $hit hits the fan! LOL

Guy

i had the same issue with my headers also, but im using cheap headers but still, it doesnt clear. my pcm was programed to run only one knock sensor so i went ahead an deleted the one interfearing with the header flange which is the passenger side since it only needed one. i couldnt even take it out cause it would just spin around without the sensor reversing out so i sawzaw the thing and grinded it. heres a pic of the passenger clearance befor the saw action..

knock_sensor_clearance.JPG

and heres the driver side...barely made it...

bottom_mount.JPG

pcm america did my programing and he said i can go ahead and run only one sensor since the computer is for a camaro and it only uses one sensor itself and should have no problem. well, i hope this is true. i havent yet drove the car yet so ill wait and see whats up.

This is a common issue. I don't remember where I relocated them on the LT1 but on my tpi motor I moved it to a boss that had the same size threads near the oil filter. Just move it to any convienient place on the block, the bellhousing, or on the motor side of the motor mounts.

I would buy a drill and tap before I bought a relocator kit. JMHO

You can mount them in the setback plates if you are using the JTR mounting scheme. Just drill and tap a hole of the correct size in the center of the plate and you should be good to go.

If you look at the wiring diagram for the Caprice/Impala PCM you'll find that both knock sensors connect to the same PCM input pin. Before running one of those Impala SS sensors I'd make sure the Camaro sensor is exactly the same.

Wheelman