HybridZ

Steering wheel, changing back to stock?

kenm260z

I've been lurking for a while and this is my first real post on this board. I picked up a 260z a few months ago and am loving it so far. I had a question about the steering wheel. When I purchased it, it came with a 13" Mahogany wheel, which in itself is a nice wheel but looks kind of cheesy with the beige/orangish interior that my car came with. Also, without power steering and 15" wheels with 205/60/R15 tires the steering effort is slightly higher than I would like at lower speeds (call me a wuss or whatever :wink: )

I tried the search function but there was no real discussion about the change in steering effort when going to a smaller wheel. My question is for those that have changed steering wheels from stock to a smaller wheel but are running a wheel with a higher profile tire. Was the steering effort that much lighter with the stock steering wheel? I have the stock wheel but an trying to decide if it's worth the effort to switch. I'm a shorter guy (5'6") so it's not like I'm running my elbows into the door. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I tried the search function but there was no real discussion about the change in steering effort when going to a smaller wheel. My question is for those that have changed steering wheels from stock to a smaller wheel but are running a wheel with a higher profile tire.

Do you mean running a wider tire perhaps? The difficulty in steering effort is usually when the car is barely moving, such as in parking, and the car has wider wheels/tires than stock. Going to a smaller diameter steering wheel also contributes to the difficulty, but not enough to keep me from going to a smaller diameter steering wheel. That's just to me, though. Everyone will have a different opinion, so that's why some have gone to PS...

Going to a taller tire (higher profile) should not add to steering difficulty IMO.

Davy

I recently switched my original steering wheel to an aftermarket wheel. To me the smaller diameter made no difference, It actually felt easier when parked. The reason is the stock steering wheel is very thin and when you try to grasp it you can't do it tight because my fingers go around and touch the palm of my hand. The Grant wheel I got is smaller, but it's twice as thick, and it grips the palm of my hand much, much better, and my fingers don't go around and touch the palm of my hand.