HybridZ

It's painted!!!

zeiss150

hey Bartman, I thought about painting my car in pieces but my teacher said that the best way is to paint it with all the the sheet metal where its suposed to be. I did have to take the hatch off though so that I could paint that jam. there is no other way to paint the top of the hatch jam with out taking it off. I also took out all of the glass, windshield, hatch and quarters all out. First you paint the jams then you lay down the body paint.

I put down two coats of primer sealer and wet sanded that with 800 (over kill I know but its all in the details right)

I used prep clean to make sure there were no oils on the primer then I went over it with a tack rag.

I layed down 3 coats of base. the first coat was with a 50% over lap the second was a "random" coat so that the metalic in the paint wouldn't leave a stripe pattern, the third coat was really random. I always started painting from the center of the roof out, then down the sides of the car.

Clear coat was put on with a higher pressure so that It wouldnt leave a pattern. The first coat was once again a 50% over lap. the second and third coats were also with a 50% over lap. The hardest part of spraying clear is trying to see where you have sprayed. You have to controll your spray gun speed, to fast and it will go on dry, to slow and it will "sag" or "run" Give the clear coat about 10 or 15 minutes between coats so that it will "tack" up. The better your spray job the less color sanding you have to do.

paint_day_3.jpg

This is with 1 coat of base

As you can see all the sheet metal is on the car (except for the hatch its hanging in the background). The paint does a really good job of getting in all the cracks.

If you have any more questions please let me know. I hope this was helpful.

Matt-

Thanks for all the info. You stated that you painted the jambs first. Did you paint them completely (multiple coats and clear coat), or just the first part of ever step you explained. If the jambs are completely done first, don't you need to protect them from overspray?

I painted the james in the stages I listed, but I did them first. so 3 coats of base on the james then I closed all the doors and painted the body. When it was time for the Clear coat I shot the james first then I closed the doors and shoot the body. You don't really have to worry about over spray on the door jams. I hope that helps.

I don't know why that picture is so small, Its big in the gallery

Matt-