HybridZ

Question about the stock Firehawk LT1 radiator....

Guys, I've searched up and down for any hints about this and can't find anything.

My LT1 came from the '94 Firehawk and had the "built in" oil cooler (option KC4) where lines came off of the water pump, circulated coolant to the oilfilter mount, from there to the radiator and then back to through the waterpump.

I guess that I'm wanting to know whether or not anyone has incorporated this oil cooler into your setup? Is a water/oil cooler as effective as the standard air/oil cooler?

Thanks for the tips.

Bryan

Dat240zg

I would stay away from it. It will be way to much work. You should just use a normal cooler and cap the old lines.

The line about being way too much work hit me a s funny. Putting a chevy engine in a z is easy but the cooler is too hard. HAha.

I had it mocked up when I put the LT1 in my Z but in the end I used a setrab unit like you see on most cars. My car sees alot of track days and I was concerned about the stock cooler not being enough.

If you want to use it, use it. I don't remember alot of details but it was not that big a deal.

The issue I would have with the stock oil cooler is the clearances. The long tube headers created an interference problem with my set-up (I am not running the oil cooler) and I had to install a remote oil filter adaptor simply because I couldn't fit a filter between the Canton oil pan and the headers. I moved my oil filter up on the frame rail just behind the radiator. The stock oil cooler lowers the oil filter mounting position down about 1 1/2 - 2", so it amplifies the clearance issue, but I think you could actually make it fit with a remote filter adaptor. The stock oil filter is short, but I have always used the PF35 or 1218 filters wich are almost double the size. If you were to use the larger filter and the oil cooler, the filter hangs way below the oil pan anyway.

Every conversion set-up is different. Try it, mock it up, check clearances and do what works for you. If you are going to use a remote filter set-up, adding a cooler in the line would be better in my opinion.

Jody

Thanks guys.

Jody - I hadn't checked specifically for clearance, but after reading your post I did and I should be ok. I'll have to use the smaller filter. Yesterday I got in touch with Griffin and they will make me a custom cross flow radiator sized to the Z with all necessary LT1 fittings for right at $400, shipped to my door in 2 weeks.

I think I'll be going with that!

Thanks again for the input.

Bryan