HybridZ

Tools For Body work

miamiKnights

I am going to start body work on my '72 240z. Buying the harbor freight welder; i have already have a 4" angle grider and sawzall with metal blades. I would like to know what is the best way to remove paint, or what tool is best. I saw on the mull videos a jackhammer with a spatula on the end being used to remove paint;however, i have also heard of radial sanders and sand blasting as an alternative. Which do you believe would the best according to price, user friendly, and results. Thank you.

well, i would imagine it depends on how much work/time and or $$ you want to put into it. I know another alternative is paint stripper although i have no experience in this.

personally i just sanded down my previous coat of paint, because i had no reason to go to bare metal again. (paint was laid properly, and had no adhersion problems)

EDIT: sanded with a electric sander, then sanded by hand afterwards.

Racer X will be sure to chime in on this at some point...so take his advice to heart.

i didnt realize that you didnt have to sand down to bare metal. I was going to spray the metal down with por-15 antirust, if i sand with your technique will the por-15 still work? Are you worried of rust popping up in the future, or did you use another anit-rust method. I just want to do this right the first time, or most efective with my budget.

was the electric sander radial of belt?

The best way is to have it "Media Blasted". That will show any and all problems right down to the bare metal. It's not necessiarily the less expensive way to go, but it is the best. Another alternative is using an industrial/aircraft/marine type stripper. They vary in price and intensity. Use gloves, eye protection, and a resporater. Several coats should do the trick. Another Master to ask is RacerX aka Ernie. He's pretty much up on things in the paint and prep area also. Good luck.

VAN

Guest TeamNissan

I used "aircraft remover" for anything I brought down to bare metal. You Por15 the back of the panels not the top and paint over lol. Becarefull if you use that remover as its very nasty stuff, I never EVER wear gloves but that stuff is the exception.

It depends a lot on your budget and how much you are going to do yourself. Also the available workspace and the level of disassembly. I sandblast all rusted areas. It preps the metal better than any other method for welding. A dedicated area is needed for sandblasting. It gets everywhere. Places you didn't know you had. A variety of methods can be used for removing paint. Experiment... sometimes you can remove an old coat of cheap paint quickly with just a razor blade. Paint strippers are great for removing large areas of hard to remove paint. Make sure you have good ventilation and use a respirator. I usually get tight corners with the sandblaster. I agree that it is not nessesary to remove all paint in many areas. Be carefull sandblasting the topside and unseen side of finish panels. My sandblaster is capable of heating and distorting sheet metal. Good Luck!

I have never used any of the enviromentally safe stripper, but soon that's all we we will be able to get. I've heard complaints of it being too time consuming and labour intensive, and you pay a premium for it. The industry is gradually moving away from all skull&crossbone consumer products. The only WARNING label on the last 5 gal. bucket of house paint I bought said...KEEP SMALL CHILDREN FROM FALLING INTO BUCKET.

Guest TeamNissan

I would advise against the "enviormentaly safe" removers. They all take longer and more. I would aprox 5 gall though to do the car. Prob more though, I went through 3 on my entire front end and doors. Thats of the mean ♥♥♥♥ too not the enviormentaly safe stuff.

Another note on paint stripper.. If you decide to use it, make sure to get every last bit of it back off the car. It will go into crevices etc.. If you don't it will ruin your paint job. If you need to remove all the paint or do rust repair, I would highly recomend having it media blasted.

Guest TeamNissan

Well I mean media blasting will cost 5 times as much and just strait sanding that old paint is like impossible. I agree that sometimes you dont have to go down to the metal but with such an old car in alot of spots you really have too because of rust and what not.

The last time I bought it, it was about $50.00 a gal. The best way is to strip the paint, sandblast, weld, touch up areas that need it with the sandblaster and then prep for primer sealer with a complete cleaning of the metal and paint (very important), if you want to avoid a miriad of problems.

Guest TeamNissan
I agree that it can take a while using the "smaller 4 inch discs" "Clean 'N Strip" discs - which is why I suggested the larger 8" disc on a polisher/grinder. Besides you're workin only a panel at a time.

If a person is really wanting to "do-it-yourself" stripping of the car. I still suggest chemical stripping. I believe a person with no experience and taking their time, should be able to strip the entire "paint" (not including tons of plastic filler) from a Zcar in 8 hours!! Just my opinion!

Ernie/RacerX

On a nice warm day ya 8 hours sounds about right. In the cold idk it doesnt work as well. Still have to sand the metal after you use the stripper lol.