HybridZ

vg30e vs vg30et heads

premo-s12

• 3 weeks later...
minus the intake, the crank, rods, oil pump, a half dozen sensors, different O2 sensors, the block changing, etc, etc...hell, the damn dip stick is on the other side... i need specifics

The only real differences between the same year VG30E and VG30ET are:

- oil pump

- driver's exhaust manifold

- detonation sensor

- oil pan (tube for oil return)

- pistons (lower compression on turbos)

- idle control stuff

- intake piping before the throttle body

- fuel injectors

- O2 sensor (depending on the year)

Things that are exactly the same:

- block

- heads

- intake manifold

- passenger exhaust manifold

- exhaust crossover pipe

- all other engine sensors

- intake plenum

- crank

- rods

- dip stick location

The only real differences between the same year VG30E and VG30ET are:

- oil pump

- driver's exhaust manifold

- detonation sensor

- oil pan (tube for oil return)

- pistons (lower compression on turbos)

- idle control stuff

- intake piping before the throttle body

- fuel injectors

- O2 sensor (depending on the year)

Things that are exactly the same:

- block

- heads

- intake manifold

- passenger exhaust manifold

- exhaust crossover pipe

- all other engine sensors

- intake plenum

- crank

- rods

- dip stick location

I've got both a vg30 (w block) and vg30et taken apart and disassembled sitting on the shelf. notable differences are the dip stick location and size (just a plug on the opposing side, movable), cranks (longer snout on the W block), rods (pressed fit vs. full floating), pistons (same as before as well as a cup for lower compression on the turbo) and plenums (the manifolds are the same however). from what I understand there are a couple different cams in the vg30e(t) however these two mic'ed out the same. physically they are of the exact same dimensions though. I've been told twice now the oil pumps are of different volumes however I have taken both apart, ran em thru the solvent tank, inspected them and found no differences. I gave the vg30et exhaust mani's to a friend and never compared the two so I'll assume you're right :)

I've got both a vg30 (w block) and vg30et taken apart and disassembled sitting on the shelf. notable differences are the dip stick location and size (just a plug on the opposing side, movable), cranks (longer snout on the W block), rods (pressed fit vs. full floating), pistons (same as before as well as a cup for lower compression on the turbo) and plenums (the manifolds are the same however). from what I understand there are a couple different cams in the vg30e(t) however these two mic'ed out the same. physically they are of the exact same dimensions though. I've been told twice now the oil pumps are of different volumes however I have taken both apart, ran em thru the solvent tank, inspected them and found no differences. I gave the vg30et exhaust mani's to a friend and never compared the two so I'll assume you're right :)

Then you don't have a VG30ET from a Z31. ALL VG30s (E AND ET) found in the Z31 had the dipstick on the left side of the engine block. And if you read the FICHE information, you'd find out that the rods and crank are exactly the same FOR THE SAME YEAR. Same goes with the CAMS. The reason the oil pumps are slightly different is the amount they flow. If you want to run through the FICHE (z31.com has the listing) to find out exactly what pieces are different to prove it to yourself, by all means, go for it. But if the oil pickup is on the right side, you picked up a JDM engine that was NOT originally in a Z31.

well, the vg30et is stock factory motor out of my Z31 dude. i never said the same year motors..i made mention earlier of stuff changing, perhaps i was to vague as i meant thru the years. again tho, i have a W block and whatever the hell you'd call the one prior. ill take pics and post em if you like. also, the oil pumps on the two are identical..both motors are factory stock motors that came with the from the factory. also, are you saying the info in that link i posted is incorrect? or are you just referring to the same year motors?

where's the link to this fiche at? that sure could come in handy..

Fiche:

http://z31.com/fiche/

Yes. The heads changed for the W series. And for some reason, I was stuck on the same year thing. Not sure how I got there, but my apologies for being/getting confused.

The prior block was called the A/B series. There were really only a few changes made....

As listed in a Nissan Product Bulletin:

improvement of water flow (block, head, head gasket)

Full float type piston/rods

longer crankshaft

liquid oil pan gasket.

No mention of the oil pump changing.

From memory, the majority of the engine components/sensors remained unchanged from the A/B to the W series. Cams, valves, etc all remained the same.

Have you owned those cars from day one? Because every original engine Z31 I've seen, the dipstick is on the left side. But when people swap in JDM (non-Z31) or Maxima VG's, the dipstick gets put on the right side. This is because the intake usually comes down and over where the dipstick would normally be on those models.

no worries dude :)

no, the vg30 WAS in my s12. it was a brand new motor from the factory approx 80k ago...spun a stupid bearing so i took it out and stripped it down. but the dipstick is on the passenger side. looking at the blocks, there's a whole on both sides for a dipstick, just ones plugged for whatever side its on. perhaps the W blocks all just used the high volume oil pump?! i dunno. from what ive been told this motor was supposed to be identical to the Z31 minus a few things to fit it in the engine bay, ie, manifolds. the accessories are all the same. why the crank is longer is beyond me..its got some fat a$$ washer on it tho to make up the difference. trip out huh?

perhaps they moved the dipstick to hte other side due to a cramped engine bay..but i could of swore the NA Z31's i saw at the wreckers the other day had it on the passenger side *shrug*

now, i have a W series made prior to 4/87 so its got the A/B series water channels..oh well

sweet, ill have a look at that fiche later tonight.