HybridZ

OTM's powdercoated block

2003z

I know of a coater in Mass. with an 8x8x8 oven. The problem would be that there are a lot of seam sealers in the car, and probably the lead that blends the roof panel in place would melt. Not to mention, no bondo at all could be used.

:banghead: Sould have tought about that... thanks.

The idea of powdercoating the whole shell was, that I'd be sure all the seams and nooks and crannys would be filled and encapsulated, thus giving it a better shield against elements...

Would I be right in saying so or the benefits would not outweight the trouble of doingthis in the first place.

If it is a good idea, could I powdercoat the thing and then do the bondo and everything and then paint over it???

I know Z shells have been baked really hot to where everything was stripped off...but the car has to be STRIPPED of everything...

I don't think it would be worth the effort of powdercoating if you are going to paint over it. Just get a tough epoxy primer or por-15 and that will be a lot stronger in the long run for a whole shell.

eh...same one.

I decided that I'll pretty it up and run the same motor for a year or two until I build a single turbo SBF...

Now I started thinking last night...

Mike: You know that 1982 Maxima wagon we pulled that head from? I was thinking "what if I swap my L26 with the 4speed into one of those and made a little bit of a sleeper?"

They already have a solid axle to hold plenty of power...mounting my motor would be a bolt-in affair, plus I'd have a dirt cheap DD so I don't have to deliver Pizza and put miles on my expensive(to me!) new truck...

That would be pretty sweet!

That may be the hard part is finding one!

You could easily recoup $150 on selling the MN47 head if it is gas or $350 or more if it was a diesel for the crank! The gas L24E block is pretty much trash but the LD one could be useful.

Maybe I'll build my little brother a car out of this if he can pay me a couple hundred...:-)