HybridZ

Unknown cam...finding the specs

Forcefed Z

My car has a "performance" cam in it.... I was told that its for turbo (not alot of overlap) but I cant remember what kind it was or mabe the guy that sold me the car didnt know either.... Nissan Comp comes in my mind but im unsure of there ever being one. What I was wondering if there is a way of finding out my cam specs ?

THANX, DUSTIN

If its a regrind most of the local ones are either Shadbolt grinds (mostly older cams) or Colt cams. Both of these guys ground numbers on the back of the cam - facing the fire wall. Shadbolt cams have numbers like "M445" while Colt uses a slightly different numbers but the grinds are the same. If its a regrind look at the back and see what it says.

My car has a "performance" cam in it.... I was told that its for turbo (not alot of overlap) but I cant remember what kind it was or mabe the guy that sold me the car didnt know either.... Nissan Comp comes in my mind but im unsure of there ever being one. What I was wondering if there is a way of finding out my cam specs ?

THANX, DUSTIN

Why do you want to know?

I tend to overkill things when I do them but here is what I did with my cam (and I knew the specs already). Pull the valve cover, pull all the spark plugs, attach a degree wheel then using a 1 inch travel dial indicator, set it up with a magnetic holder and necesary attachments so you have all but one revolution aplied to the dial indicator with the plunger sitting on the valve spring retainer for the intake on #1 cylinder. Now that the setup is done rotate the crank 5 degrees according to the degree wheel, on a piece of paper write down the degree on the wheel and the reading on the dial indicator then rotate the crank 5 degrees again etc, etc untill you have completed 360 degrees of rotation (alot of which will read 0 inches of lift). After you are done with the intake repeat the entire process on the exhaust valve for #1 cylinder.

Now that you have a couple pages of numbers use either a computer program such as AutoCAD or a piece of graph paper and create a plot of each valve that you took numbers from. The plot will look like two arches that have an overlap in the center, this will give you a graphic representation of your cam profile WITH your rocker ratio and you will know exactly what your true lift, duration and overlap are for your cam. BTW set aside some time to do this it's going to take awhile.

Dragonfly