HybridZ

240Z rods vs 280ZX rods

PETEW

Hey guys I am trying to figure out why the change from 280ZX rods to 240 Z rods. I understand the 240Z rods are a little longer (1/10th of an inch), but can that little difference really do anything. I know chevy guys will increase thier rod length 1/4 inch or more for better detonation absorbtion, better high rpm runability, etc. But they are changing a decent amount in length. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth my time and money going to find some 240Z rods before my engine builder goes ripping into my block and rods. I am trying to this right the first time, so engine reliability will (hopefully) not be an issue. Thanks.

Because if they didn't shorten the rod when they increased the stroke on the L26/L28 crank, the piston would slam into the head.

This clearance issue is sometimes addressed with a piston with a raised pin location, closer to the piston face.

In this case they shortened the rod.

Each method has it's pro's and con's, as does everything pertaining to engine enhancement.

Sounds like you have some homework to do.

He's talking about running the LONGER rods with a shorter piston.

Pete, do a search for rod/stroke ratio, r/s ratio, and any other combo you can think of. There have been some fairly heated debates about the subject. You can also search google and find info for other engines.

My take is that it is worth it, especially on a high strung engine, whether that be a high compression NA or turbo with tons of boost. I actually wish that it was easier to use a diesel block on a gas car. Taller block, so you can use longer rods than you can with the L28 block.

Search and you'll find what you're looking for...

Wow! Talk about a can of worms. I might as well have asked "which is better Ford or Chevy". There was a lot of good info out there but also very different opinions out there. I think I tend to be with the people who think there is not enough difference to waste your time. 2.65 mm will not make enough difference to run out and find different rods, to me. Better to spend money else where. Thanks for the help guys.