HybridZ

Help what are acceptable limits for piston ring blow by 350sbc

My TT motor is; and cometic .040 head gaskets.

I have used the same cometics in my TT383 engine. I had some slight coolant leakage into my cylinders which stopped after I had the deck surfaced to a fine finish. I'm currently trying out the Fel-Pro MLS .040 gaskets. I'm impressed with the slightly tacky coating they contain and they seem to seal well. O-Ringing is probably only necessary if you are running 30-35 psi boost.

Hanns

To 260 POS

" Good afternoon,

I guess I would like to know engine he bought from us. As I’m sure you are aware GM makes 9 different versions of a small block that we carry. I don’t know what difference the weight would make, plus you don’t know what radiator he is running it might not have enough cooling surface to cool the larger motor. Good luck with your project. Please remember that GM crate motors are exactly that. They are put together on a GM assembly line just like any new motor that you would by from any GM dealer in the United States.

Again, good luck on your project;

Les Lewis

Mail order manager

The engine i ordered is a 290 horse 330 ft lb of torque version from jegs . As all catalogs have different part numbers i wont add it but for kicks in the jegs catalog its this number . 809-12499529k3 . The radiator i have is a 2 row cross flow radiator with a core of 19 tall 17 wide never seen my temp go over 210 with this bigger rad never seen over 185 .

And as far as the car it went in they calim the engine wasnt designed for the car just another way of saying kiss the warranty good bye .

Sure pissed my father in law off as he has a 37 chevy coupe with a vortec 350 in it or that styl heads and its a crate engine and they told him the same thing as a 37 never was meant to have a 350 sbc in it . he has no problems but i just added that because of the warranty issue .

Also thanks again for all the advice folks i can see i wont need to O ring the engine like the speed shop said . I planed on spending whatever it took on head gaskets , pistons and rings . The see what rods i needed and such . From what ive read i may just get a good stock crank and go from there . Im not looking for much power just about oh 350-400 at the tires would be fine as i curently have 300 to the tires .

Thanks

Jason

Jason.

I thought I would rattle Jeg’s A little. If we all rattled them, maybe you could get some action. What a bunch of B.S. to not warrant a product by whining about the application it was installed in when your company is obviously catering to the hot rod nation. I’m sure hey had reservations as they were taking your payment. (Ya right!)

Good luck with it,

-Jim

So DOC... Are you saying, "We get what we pay for"?

Well, in the warranty arena, have you ever had somone instantly remedy the situation? Mostly no, unless you have a no-fault insurance coverage. Engine and trans builders or rebuilders seldom like to think they made a mistake, but who does. Fact is things are mechanical and you have people that will flog them, add nos, blowers, turbo's and generally beat the crap out of them and then try to warranty the engine or trans.

But, the intended use of the engine in question is suitably living up to most standards IMO, trying to get warranty out of Jeg's is pointless and a futile waste of time and resources, which would be better spent on rounding up some more $$$ and going HD with parts as your insurance while upping HP and TQ in the process.

Hence the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price! So, yes, that's what I'm saying.

Let's imagine all the retainers smacking the top of the guides, pistons swapping holes and finally somebody letting one of the rods out of the side of the block. :lmao: You are too funny!

I have NEVER had it happen.... I've had the same cam, lifters, roller tip rockes and the same NO2 on 3 crate motors and never had one drop a valve or throw a rod. I've blown head gaskets and stripped a timing chain.

Oh, the reason I said that is this mechanic I used to know, not you. He thought he was the bomb... He looked like ronald McDonald since he had a natural red 'fro and his first name was Ron! He put a .550 lift solid cam in a sbc with stock rods, cast crank, 14:1 Manley pistons and stock 882 casting heads. Yup, even still had the exhaust rotators on and stock springs (shimmed of course for more seat pressure). Now anyone who knows chevy's knows that the guides will hit stock retainers nearing .500 lift or so depending on the head.

So, he started it and the cam was so lumpy you couldn't tell what was a miss or what. We were all standing around watching it run and I thought it sounded like crap and mentioned that I thought something was wrong. He said it's "just the cam". After about 30 minutes it finally pushed a valve through the retainer and after the piston got tired of slapping the valve closed it broke off, got sideways in the cylinder, cracked the cylinder and shoved the valve through the head, and bent a rod. When he pulled the dipstick, antifreeze ran out and he started crying (literally). The rest of us just left him alone.

He quit the next day.

That's why I said "Imagine". I can "Imagine" that motor you describe screaming in pain with the NOS before it let go. :lol: