HybridZ

leaking z

Wilson_WWSC

my z leaks water into hte under seat area. I dotn know where the leak comes from, but i know that my hatch weather stripping is completely messed up. any idea of a fix for my leak problems? also, my hatch does not close flush with the rear end of the body. the hatch sticks up over the body about half a cm. it is flush to the body near the hinges. ty for your help, Wilson

You may want to adjust the striker on that hatch. if i remember correctly you take out the licence plate lights. its just the 2 screws on the ledge as you open the hatch. there are just 2 and they are right in the middle. that pulls out and the bottom part of the latch is behind it. there is only so much adjustment in the whole thing.

my take on the weather stripping is to just buy new weather stripping. if yours is in bad condition why mess with it. i have been meaning to buy a whole car kit. i just haven't got around to it. to find the leak you can always sit in you car and have someone blast it with the hose. that or go to one of those car washes and just look around. i dunno thats what i would do to find the leak. hope i helped.

This might be the problem (God forbid). The floor is rusted through. I have had 2 Z cars and can vouche for that. Look under the car. It might be hidden under the under coating. Try tapping with a screwdriver ( not stabbing) around the front of the footwell and the area under the seat, where the cross member support for the seat is.

Floor and fenders are the first things to go, by rust, on these cars

Check the bottom corner of the front windshield. That leak is hard to detect because it's behind the defroster panel and then the water runs behind the dash and down to the floor. Take the carpet out and make sure that everything is good and dry inside. Have someone spray water on different parts of the car till you find the leak.

Chuck

Check the bottom corner of the front windshield. That leak is hard to detect because it's behind the defroster panel and then the water runs behind the dash and down to the floor. Take the carpet out and make sure that everything is good and dry inside. Have someone spray water on different parts of the car till you find the leak.

Chuck

Also in the same area, the drain for the wiper compartment. Behind the dash, there is a big rubber hose that attaches to the compartment to the drain behind the lower front fender quarter panel (next to the door). That can wear out and leak.

to say the least. if there is a big rusted area and you dont have the tools and equipment to fix it yourself, a good body shop is your best bet. that is if it IS rust that is the problem. if you are going to take it to a body shop do some research first. just so you dont get ripped off or get poor quality work.