HybridZ

Buy a new z or use the one i have

gretchen/jason

I know this isnt a technical question just would like a opinion before i make a final decision

Well i know a guy who wants to sell me his 76 260z for 200$ . the engine and 4 speed tranny will be yanked out and giving away free to anyone in colorado if i buy this car .

The deal is my 78 280z needs both frame rails and floor boards replaced and a spot at the bottom of the front drivers strut tower near the frame rail is rusted through also . Other then that rust free and ive added custom controll arms custom dash and custom wiring harness struts springs bushings etc .

Now on the other hand the 260z suposedly doesnt need frame rails or floor boards . I cant remember i havent seen the car in 6 months . But it needs everything else replaced , brakes , wires , seats ,etc etc struts and so on . but it only has minor outside surface rust .

I only need one z so if i buy the 260z id swap my stuff over to it and sel the 280z shell for 100$ .

Are floor boards costly to replace i mean as far as getting someone to weld them in . im just looking at cost savings . ive been quoted 1,000 $ to have the rails and floors replaced if i buy the parts .

I know noone can make this decision for me but id just like to see what other people might do if it were them .

Jason

You need to make absolutely certain whether it is a 260 or 280. The late 260's are the same as 280's. The early 260's are more like a 240. There were a lot of significant differences between the 240's and 280's (like strut tubes sizes etc.) So you may have trouble back fitting some 280 parts on a 260.

There was a recent thread on the cost of floor board - frame rail replacements. Figure $1500 to $2000 to have a shop do the welding with you doing all the disassembly/reassembly.

$200 for a rust free shell doesn't sound so bad when looked at in that light.

Just make certain the new car is really as rust free as the guy thinks it is.

Oh no 76 260z huh someone must have swaped fenders on his ride oh well no big deal .

As far as swaping the struts i was going to take the 280z my car struts the strut the controll arm brake drum and all in one piece and swap them over same for the front . Just unbolt from the sub frame and unbolt from strut tower and remove in one whole piece .

Well if it is what he says it is rust free looks like ill have 2 z cars in about a week .

Jason