HybridZ

4L60E tranny mount question

I am finally getting around to ordering JTR parts for the LT1 swap.

For those who are running a LT1 with a 4L60E what tranny cross member are you using? JTR suggests getting an earlier tranny tail that has the bottom cross member mounting. The '94 Z28 Camaro I am taking this from uses the mounting method below. Anyone see any issues with the stock Chevy method? Obviously the Camaro cross member won't work but wouldn't the JTR cross member work with the Camaro rubber mount?

tranny-mount.jpg

I think the JTR cross member should work. If not some slight mods maybe in order.

I ordered it so we'll see what happenes. Sure feels good to finally get started on this project. Engine/tranny comes out of the Camaro this weekend.

Cool! , need any help?

I have a few buddies coming over Saturday to pull the engine and tranny and dismantle the rest of the Camaro. Know anyone that needs any '94 Z28 stuff? I've unbolted about everything possible on this car! After Satrday the should be nothing left but a totaled shell.

I have a few buddies coming over Saturday to pull the engine and tranny and dismantle the rest of the Camaro. Know anyone that needs any '94 Z28 stuff? I've unbolted about everything possible on this car! After Satrday the should be nothing left but a totaled shell.

Oh good, glad you have some help! Sorry don't know anyone with a Z28.

The stock Camaro transmission mount (rubber isolator) should work fine.

The reason I recommended the old style mount (which is no longer available) is because it was inexpensive and soft enough to prevent normal driveline vibrations from going into the car.

I do not like the aftermarket transmission mounts because they tend to be stiff, and this transmits noise and vibration into the car. The urethane transmission mounts, in my opinion, are too stiff.

If you use the Caprice style transmission tailhousing shown in the book (to gain exhaust clearance), you should install spacers between the rubber mount and the tailhousing to raise the back of the transmission so that the output shaft is nearly parallel with the differential pinion shaft.

The stock Camaro transmission mount (rubber isolator) should work fine.

The reason I recommended the old style mount (which is no longer available) is because it was inexpensive and soft enough to prevent normal driveline vibrations from going into the car.

I do not like the aftermarket transmission mounts because they tend to be stiff, and this transmits noise and vibration into the car. The urethane transmission mounts, in my opinion, are too stiff.

If you use the Caprice style transmission tailhousing shown in the book (to gain exhaust clearance), you should install spacers between the rubber mount and the tailhousing to raise the back of the transmission so that the output shaft is nearly parallel with the differential pinion shaft.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you'd respond. I sent in the on line order for my mounts and shaft adapter last night.

Dale