HybridZ

whale tail time!

SHADY280

hey guys wondering how everone else mounted there whale tails. i got the the low pro one from msa. it has studs sticking down only on the top of the hatch surface. so how should i attach the bottom lip part with. i dont want bolts sticking out the back, so was kinda thinking resin, but would it bond and be strong enough. please keep in mind im smoothing it in and dont want it to look "tacked on"

I have the large MSA Whale Tail on the MuscleZ. I had many of the same issues as you. I rectified the problem by using some longer machine screws with flat washers and drilled a few more holes for attachment points. It fits perfectly and is solidly on there. I also used a bonding glue to add additional stiffing and holding properties. Then kitty hair, light coat of bondo, prime, block and paint. Take your time and have fun!

VAN

I bought mine used, and can't say where it came from.. but it had 6 studs sticking out of the bottom to go through the hatch deck (two on each side, and two in the middle.) I marked and drilled them through the hatch, and used fender washers under the 10 mm nuts. Now, this just wasn't enough for me, and I had to feather in the top of the hatch anyway (as it was cut off a donner car) so I wanted it secure. Along the underside/edge, I drilled, and rivited about 10 large head rivits along the edge of the hatch, and another 20 or so allong the top (about 1" back from where I filled/feathered it in) and THEN fiberglass and bondo to smooth.

thanks for the suggestion, this is the kind of creativity im looking for. so pop rivet eh. hmmm did you recess them into the rear lip to keep the rear lip as thin as possible? im trying to keep the rear very thin so it meets up to the the side of the car with little mods, or sticking out further than the cars body