HybridZ

Can I put my oil pressure sender here?

I'll be installing a remote oil filter locator, like many of you have, to avoid removing exhaust parts just to change the oil filter. I have a '91 305tpi and don't have the hole by the distributor that the JTR book talks about. Also, the GM sender by the filter is needed to run the fuel pump. So, I was thinking, can I drill and tap the remote filter mount and put the Datsun sender there? Any of you guys done this? And, what side should I use, before or after the filter?

Don't know if it is a good spot for the Oil Presure sender, but most of the oil filter relocation bases have additional ports for this type of thing...I'm gonna run my oil temp sender off on of the ports on my relocator.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Leave it to me to miss the obvious, thanks BLKMGK. Yes, that would certainly work. But, it is kind of tight down there already. If the remote filter thing would work it would be a lot easier. I'd really like to here someone say that it can't be done for some very good reason. So come on all you kill joys, straighten me out.

Guest Anonymous

Hey again Dan, on my '91 305 TBI I removed and plugged the sender down by the oil filter. It is not necessary for the fuel pump to operate. That whole sender/switch assembly is meant to provide power to the fuel pump in the event of fuel pump relay failure (once oil pressure is attained). I installed the Datsun sender on the top left(driver's) side at the rear of the block. Make sure the plug that should be there isn't covered w/ gunk.

Hope that helps, Jeff

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

[This message has been edited by AZ240V8 (edited March 15, 2001).]

I thought the whole reason for the fuel pump switch on the oil pressure was to let th emotor spin up some oil pressure before starting the car and to kill the fuel pump in the event of a stall. On a carb car there ought to be enough gas in the bowls for initial start and quick restarts - yes?

Having seen what happens to cars whose fuel pumps are left running after shutdown this seemed like a good idea - no? For those that haven't seen it - the car I saw had the entire tank worth of gas run into the crankcase - several gallons. Car started and ran but when we checked the dipstick the oil ran off of it like WD40!

Guest Anonymous

According to the manuals I have for my application the function of the switch is as I stated above. Many think that the switch kills the fuel pump if oil pressure drops too low. That is not the case in GM TPI and TBI apps. (per JTR TPI and TBI engine swapping manual)

As always, just my experience.

Jeff

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Juday:

Your right Jeff. I have the Helm manual and it is pretty clear. But you guys are off topic! Ask your friends, can I put the dang sender there or not?

Easy tex! You can put the sender anywhere under pressure that you want. You're not looking to log it like EFI outputs etc. Just yes I have enough pressure or no not enough, shut off the fuel pump. Are you sure you don't have that boss at the rear of the block? It's quite small and easy to miss. My '68 327 had it and so does my '98 350 so I'd be quite surprised if yours does not. BLKMGK, the oil pressure/JTR piece was to shutdown your fuel pump current supply if you loose oil pressure, you run a bypass wire to your starter solenoid (at least I did) to get the fuel pump running during cranking prior to oil pressure being built. IME it will typically fire right up on first touch of cranking with carb/float bowls unless it's sat 10+ days or I have a LOT of initial timing dialed in. In that event (that it's been sitting) I just cross my oil pressure/fuel pump wires and let the pump run 4-5 seconds until my underhood fuel PSI guage comes up and then slip the wires back on and fire it up. Very handy having that sensor for both safety and ease of starting after sitting for a while w/o cranking over much.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

You know its funny this thread keeps coming back at me. There's a story, for me at least, behind the JTR oil pressure/fuel pump switch set up.

Two, almost three years ago when I first obtained the JTR manual....I knew at that time that one day I would eventually have a V8Z. My college car was a stock Z & I could imagine what it'd be like w/a V8.

So to commemorate the "Ground Breaking," during my lunch hour at work, I went to the nearest Chrysler Dealer & purchased the switch pt#0418653 & after work went to Autozone & purchased the brass fittings....just so I could "FEEL" like I've made a commitment in the right direction.

I gave up on the conversion as I could tell the JTR manual was not entirely complete and GM decided it didnt need a Dallas Office (Closing/Layoff) kind of left me financially budgeted (Strapped). I still have the switch & fittings & still plan on doing the conversion.......someday/when my budget allows.

So I guess you could say I havent officially began my project but I have "Technically" begun my project by having had purchased the switch & fittings.

I may still only be an Inliner...but I'm gonna be a V8Z someday!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

PS: What an Inspirational story...quick/GROUP HUG!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited March 16, 2001).]

Thanks Ross, it's Saturday and I'm going to stick my head in there and look around. But I need more than a boss. I need a threaded hole. I'm not going to drill and tap into a finished motor in the car. So if I find a plug, great. If not I'm going to drill and tap the remote oil filter mount. Now where can I find metric pipe taps in this hick town? JTR says it's very close to 1/8"npt but if it is a new hole I'll cut the right threads.

So, where on the back of the block is this boss suppose to be?

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Juday:

Thanks Ross, it's Saturday and I'm going to stick my head in there and look around. But I need more than a boss. So, where on the back of the block is this boss suppose to be?

I meant a threaded hole. Don't recall what was in mine originally, likely a hex pipe plug. It's on the rear upward facing lip of your block RIGHT behind your intake on a non TPI/TBI setup (not dead familiar with your layout back their). Just a few inches over from the distributor, it doesn't clear the intake seal by much and that area on my car collects dirt/dust so I could see it being masked/hard to find as my bay is all silver so on darker engine bays/overhead plenums etc it'd only be harder to find.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Found it guys. Yup, small, hard to find, especially on a tpi. The manifold hangs over the top of it about 2" above the surface. No way to screw it in directly. I'm going to try to get a 45 elbow and a coupling but it will still be tight. This would have been easier before the motor was installed, (just like it says in the JTR book).