HybridZ

Tig welding stock intake manifold?

NCchris

I have a N42 intake and want to "clean" it up. On another thread, it was suggested to plug the holes with a tapered threaded plug. Some of those holes could be easily tig welded shut then ground flush on both sides. Anyone have any experience welding this casting?

TIA

chris

Clean it real well, any place that is to be welded should be ground clean and bolt holes that you plan on filling should be drilled until you get to clean fresh material. It welds very well, but requires ALOT of heat, i.e. stay away from the flanged areas unless you plan on machining them flat again. Don't forget to Jet Hot coat it once you're done. It'll look AMAZING.

After welding, Sanding, Polishing & Before Jet Hot Coating

IMG00014.JPG

After Jet Hot Coating

Picture_008.jpg

Welding the holes shut it really doesnt matter as most that you will want ot plug will not be through holes. The through hole should probably be saved for vaccum sorces unless you plan one doing somehting custom.

That being said I had do trouble welding up the holes in my intakeI just used some 4043 rod, make sure everything is nice and clean though. and smooth out the casting a bit.

I shaved most the openings off the top of this manifold and tig welded it up.ThenI drilled/tapped some of the mounting holes on the side of the manifold for vacuum ports/boost guage ect... This keeps the top clean and uncluttered. Then it was powdercoated with a hammered siver finish. If you dont have a nice clean nonporous weld, youll get some outgassing during the PC and will leave blemishes in the paint.Zstuff001.jpg

Zstuff003.jpg