HybridZ

Rear End Whine under Load

Boosted1

I have a rather odd problem that I cant seem to figure out with my Z.

First off, the car is (was) equipped with the stock R180 from the 78 280Z auto, stock halfshafts, and an 82 ZX tranny.

Long story short, after a hard 4th gear run, I backed off, and coming up on the next corner attempted to accelerate again. the only thing that happened was a high pitched squeal from the rear of the car and moderate acceleration.

The car was still driveable, but upon any kind of load/acceleration, this squeal would start and forward acceleration would cease. I thought initially it was a broken stub or sheared splines in the diff. I have since taken the car apart, diff and stub axles as well as halfshafts are out of the car. Nothing is broken that I can see.

I believe the clutch is not the issue at hand either, since

A. the noise was coming from the back of the car, and

B. upon acceleration, the revs do not shoot up as if the clutch was slipping.

However, it is really quite odd since the engine does not free rev when the squeal starts, but the car does not develop much boost, as if it was not under load.

Since the problem started, but before I tore the car down I've had the car on jackstands and simulated load by putting the car in 5th at low RPMs and gunning it. The car at this point did develop a couple of pounds of boost, and I did not hear the same squealing.

I checked the turbo for play/binding, it seems to be fine.

At this point I am stumped as to what the problem was... Possibly the input Yoke to the Diffy? The pin for the spider gears? I have no clue. All I know is that I'm replacing the whole driveline to be safe.

Anyone have any idea what the issue may be? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, everything turns smoothly by hand, spider gears, pinion gear, etc. The brakes are not locked up, as when I lifted the car everything spun freely by hand. The fuel pickup sounds like it may be a candidate, but the squealing sounds very mechanical, like metal on metal. However that does definately seem like a possiblility, and would explain why the car didnt build boost... however my O2 gauge didnt read full lean upon acceleration, it read normally. Mysteries, mysteries...