HybridZ

Help with kgc10 tanny

Guest dizmine2

Guest dizmine2

Hello all, just another new guy who needs help, Does any one know which tranny I can use on my skyline from any Z car here in the US. My problem is the second gear syncro going bad, it's hard getting in and out of gear. Oh yeah its got a L28 in it if it helps any. thanks in advance.

Do you happen to know if it is the stock tranny off hand? I assume your car is a '71 or '72 then if your car is a KGC10. The five speed was on the GT-X as the GT came with a four speed. If you have an original five speed, you don't really want to swap it out. The five speed uses a two piece telescopic driveshaft that actually bolts to a flange on the tranny as opposed to the sliding yoke on the U.S. spec tranny. Not to mention an original five speed would be an "A" box and all of the U.S. five speeds were "B" box, except for the five speed from a Roadster. But we'll get to that in a minute. Look under the car and check for the two piece drive shaft. That will really dictate what you need to do. If there is only a one piece, then it's not an original five speed and you can pretty much swap it out with a regular 280Z or ZX tranny. If it is an original tranny, here is what you will need. This tranny shares internals with the 2000 Roadster tranny. They are both steel synchro equipped. You should be able to repair yours with parts for a Roadster. Les at Classic Datsun may be able to help you there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Guest dizmine2
I would assume any L powered car. So 1970-1983 cars should all bolt up no problem. Now if you know ratios or which is the best, that is another matter.

thanks just wasnt sure if they are the same.

Do you happen to know if it is the stock tranny off hand? I assume your car is a '71 or '72 then if your car is a KGC10. The five speed was on the GT-X as the GT came with a four speed. If you have an original five speed, you don't really want to swap it out. The five speed uses a two piece telescopic driveshaft that actually bolts to a flange on the tranny as opposed to the sliding yoke on the U.S. spec tranny. Not to mention an original five speed would be an "A" box and all of the U.S. five speeds were "B" box, except for the five speed from a Roadster. But we'll get to that in a minute. Look under the car and check for the two piece drive shaft. That will really dictate what you need to do. If there is only a one piece, then it's not an original five speed and you can pretty much swap it out with a regular 280Z or ZX tranny. If it is an original tranny, here is what you will need. This tranny shares internals with the 2000 Roadster tranny. They are both steel synchro equipped. You should be able to repair yours with parts for a Roadster. Les at Classic Datsun may be able to help you there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Its a 71 gt-x (gtr clone) with a one piece drive shaft not bolted to the tranny, So I guess this makes it much easier to replace/rebuilt the tranny.

Thanks for your help :icon10: