HybridZ

remapping an S30 ECU

mom'sZ

I have a 1977 280z. It is being prepared for SCCA improved touring road racing. Currently in improved touring, there is a move afoot to change the current ECU rule as it pertains to fuel injected cars. A little history, currently, you are allowed to put any ECU in that fits within the stock ECU housing. You must retain all stock sensors and the stock harness, you may not add any sensors or wiring. The rule was made, most feel, because some guys were reflashing the stock epprom chip and there was no way to police it. It was felt that opening the rule up would at least give everyone the same advantage as the cheaters. Most in the class have felt the rule change sucked and want it changed. Some want to go back to stock ECUs only, but that would be impossible to police. Others want the ECU to be completly open, allowing any ECU, sensors and harness. The problem is that many models have a very tiny ECU housing. Some big dollar teams have figured out how to stuff a MOTEC in there box and have fully programable injection but it's expensive to do. A third camp wants to allow only reflashing the original chip or replacing the original chip but retaining the stock board. Most modern ECUs have a epprom chip that can be unsoldered and replaced.

So... here is my delemma and my question, the stock 280z does not appear to have an epprom. I had originally planned to put a megasquirt inside my original box, it's pretty big and fitting it would be no problem. I had figured out how to run it using only the stock sensors. If the rule change is made only allowing reflash or rechip, how to proceed? I have search, and read what information I have. The factory service manual contains a block drawing of the circuit, and an explanation of how the components work. Has anyone tried to work on one? Does anyone have any information about it or modifying it? I know JWT supposably has cracked it and can change it. Does anyone who knows more about electronic know how to at least get started? ANYONE having ANYTHING that might help me?

Sorry for long post... thanks everyone.

I have a 1977 280z. It is being prepared for SCCA improved touring road racing. Currently in improved touring, there is a move afoot to change the current ECU rule as it pertains to fuel injected cars. A little history, currently, you are allowed to put any ECU in that fits within the stock ECU housing. You must retain all stock sensors and the stock harness, you may not add any sensors or wiring. The rule was made, most feel, because some guys were reflashing the stock epprom chip and there was no way to police it. It was felt that opening the rule up would at least give everyone the same advantage as the cheaters. Most in the class have felt the rule change sucked and want it changed. Some want to go back to stock ECUs only, but that would be impossible to police. Others want the ECU to be completly open, allowing any ECU, sensors and harness. The problem is that many models have a very tiny ECU housing. Some big dollar teams have figured out how to stuff a MOTEC in there box and have fully programable injection but it's expensive to do. A third camp wants to allow only reflashing the original chip or replacing the original chip but retaining the stock board. Most modern ECUs have a epprom chip that can be unsoldered and replaced.

So... here is my delemma and my question, the stock 280z does not appear to have an epprom. I had originally planned to put a megasquirt inside my original box, it's pretty big and fitting it would be no problem. I had figured out how to run it using only the stock sensors. If the rule change is made only allowing reflash or rechip, how to proceed? I have search, and read what information I have. The factory service manual contains a block drawing of the circuit, and an explanation of how the components work. Has anyone tried to work on one? Does anyone have any information about it or modifying it? I know JWT supposably has cracked it and can change it. Does anyone who knows more about electronic know how to at least get started? ANYONE having ANYTHING that might help me?

Sorry for long post... thanks everyone.

The stock ECU for the '77 does not have any sort of EPROM - as far as I know it's all analog, so good luck 'cracking' that.

I seriously doubt that JWT can change the calibration of the stock 280Z ECU. You are probably thinking of the 300ZX ECU swap that they do.

As I see it, your only way forward (aside from just using the stock ECU) would be to stuff a progammable ECU in the stock housing. If the rules won't allow it, then you are SOL (or you can always cheat ;) ).