HybridZ

Will it grenade? (Transmission)

mario_82_ZXT

So in my Zs recent attempt to make me want to blow it up or burn it, it has taken it to the next level.

Coming back to school this weekend about 40miles outside of Tucson it decides it doesn't want to have a 5th gear anymore, or reverse for that matter... (I know early 5 speeds have this problem)

So I need a new tranny (this one leaks, 2nd and 4th gear syncro going, etc). I'm thinking a late 280zx 5 speed (I like the ratios better) or if I can convince my dad to chip in a KA tranny swap. Problem is I'm 4 hours from home... I'm going to go shop around the junkyards and see if I can find one of said transmissions.

So, will my transmission lockup/blow up/grenade or can I drive it around while I look for the parts?

Thanks

Mario

If it's fubar, then thats that. I'd say just keep driving it as long as you can, cause you're not woried about keeping it right? The KA swap will require a bit or work, (machining of the bellhousing and maybe a driveshaft shortening) but I find that 240zx 5 gears are a lot easier to find, and IMO a better tranny behind the 2.8 than the stock Z 4 or 5 gear. (better gear ratios) A zx would be a direct bolt on as far as I know, but maybe hard to find..

What the heck....

I've called like 10 junkyards today. ONLY ONE had a Z tranny, a 79 5 speed (which is the same one in the car now), and they wanted $350 PLUS exchange?!?!

I have also found only one 240sx tranny so far (haven't called everywhere yet :roll:) and they want $250 plus exchange.

WTF? I paid $100 for my 83 280zx 5 speed in my turbo Z like 1.5 years ago... That included slave, flywheel, pp, EVERYTHING. I'm going to hope the tranny lasts to Phoenix and I'll be digging through pick and pulls there cuz this is just rediculous.....

Mario

dammn that just sucks bro i need a new tranny 2 so i gotta hit up the junkyard. LoL try ebay

eBay wants $250-300+ and then shipping, and I don't even get to see it first...

I don't mind getting dirty and pulling one out (in fact I've done it in Phoenix in 110 deg weather). I just need to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (college student = broke)...

Mario