HybridZ

how much boost will it take

280tyler

Depends how good the tune is !!!

A friend of mine runs 19psi on stock block all day long for about a year and hasnt had any piston popping experiences.

I wouldnt suggest it , But he's been doing it for a while now.

280tyler if your going from N/A to Turbo and upgrading the fuel, etc...

There will be a huge difference in performance before and after the Turbo is installed. I just finished my motor (n42 block, p90a) and i cant even begin to describe how much harder the car pulls than it did when it was N/A.

Start out at 10psi and work your way up....WITH A WIDEBAND.....tune, tune, tune, tune

I 100% agree with what LT280z just said.

The thing that will pop any piston is either detonation, or pre-ignition. Pre-ignition will destroy any engine almost immediately. Detonation can be survived for a period depending on the strength of the piston. OEM pistons are designed to survive OEM conditions, and are unlikely to tolerate serious detonation for very long.

Build yourself some detonation detectors (I have a thread somewhere here describing how), and be careful.

FWIW I have run 19psi on my stock shortblock with no ill-effects. The det detectors really are fantastic, I can hear ANY detonation and fix the problem before it becomes one. I have also had the engine apart since running 19psi (stupid head gasket mistake) and the piston crowns look fine, no little men with hammers running around in there. :)

Dave

Are you guys using the stock 280z nonturbo pistons for these numbers...I've found a zx turbo motor to build but might use the stock one for a while if I could get that kinda boost...it's a 78

Yep, Stock Dished pistons from a 77 280z

280z's with dished pistons yeilds the same compression as the Turbo Motor with dished Pistons

The stock pistons can withstand alot of "boost" as everyone has mentioned as long as your tune is spot on you will be safe to 20psi more then likely.

Although to be honest that prolly isnt going to happen. With stock pistons you slip up once and get alittle detonation and your done. A nice hot day and freak fuel problem, just working out kinks in your setup and you can blow the ring lands.

IN MY opinion the stock pistons are practical to 15-18 psi, after that I think forged pistons should be considered.

I've been running stock pistons from an 83 turbo, with 20+ psi of boost. i've also detonated enough to blow a steel o-ringed copper head gasket and to break spark plugs. I just took the engine apart for a rebuild (bad bearings) and the pistongs looked as good as new. I am running ceramic coatings on them as well. When they finally go bad, I'm melting these suckers down and making body armor from them!

I actually did this about a year ago. I was rebuilding my F54 block and in the meantime strapped all my turbo gear to a bone stock N42 short block straight out of a 280z. At first I was very cautious with it, haha, that soon faded and I was running the car in the mid 12's at the dragstrip on about 17-18psi. I had a pretty decent tune on the car but I still managed to kill some ringlands after about 6 months, but i kept driving it and kept making 12 sec passes. I finally ripped it out to throw the built motor back in and it was still running relatively well.