HybridZ

How to handle area behind filler plates

subridersix

I'd like some advise about how to handle the the area covered by a filler plate. For example: the door handle recess. If I'm shaving my door handles by welding a flush plate over the handle recess, should I leave the recess intact, cut it out , or what? My concern is about preservation. The last thing I want is rust problems later that I could have avoided.

I'm ready to shave the doors, rear filler plate and those little round holes in the rear hatch sides on my 78 280Z. I've got my mig welder, my patch plates cut to fit and I have both DP 40 Epoxy primer and POR-15 on hand.

So what do you guys think, what's the best way to do this and ensure I'm not setting myself up for rust problems down the road.

You've pretty much got the right idea. Grind the areas to be welded to clean exposed metal, then spot tac your metal filler piece. Careful not to over heat and warp the metal especially in small areas. Make a few tacs and let the metal cool. Once you have completely tac'd around the filler piece then grind it down smooth. You have several options at this point depending on how comfortable you are working with various body fillers. You can lead over the repair area, shaving off the excess, sand/shape then prep, prime and paint. Use a good catalized primer/surfacer. That is the real secret! You can also use "Kitty Hair" followed by a light coat of plastic filler. Again sand/shape, clean, cat. prime and paint. Either way will work fine. Body rust will not penitrate the worked metal areas as it will be protected by the Catalized primer/surfacer acting as a sealer. Of course the top coat of paint will add even more resistance properties. Have fun!

VAN

Appreciate the advise. I'll cut out the back side of what I'm "shaving" if I can get to it well enough to fully preserve it after the filler plate is in. If I can't get to it I 'll just hope for the best. Like you said the face surface will seal with the primer and paint.

Thanks again