HybridZ

Diff insulator issue

Pennyman

Hey, after I installed my coiloivers (76 280z), I realized the monkies at the shop my car had been at years before had put the wrong nut on the diff insulator stud.The nut and stud look stripped, and the nut doesn't tighten anymore, causing the familiar "clunk" when throttle changes are applied to the drivetrain.

Is it possible to simply replace the stud and the nut in the insulator, and if not, can I use the insulator from a 280zx (more of them at the junkyard than 280z's) on my car.

Lots of talk about solid mounts, but I've seen the horrors that can bring, so I'll wait on that....:icon6:

Thanks

You might be able to weld a new stud on the old mount. But you will undoubtably burn and further weaken the rubber on the other side. Another possiblity is to rethread the stud using the next smaller sized die.

Those parts are throw away items. Maybe time to invest in a new one. Or ask around and see if someone made an extra Ron Tyler style mount they will sell you. Should just bolt in and will be the last diff mount you will ever have to buy.