HybridZ

Walmart Special w/pics

Nismo280zEd

I used the Same clear as paint. I went to Walmart and got 5cans of flat black and 5 cans of clear I used about 3 of each to do the door and rear quarter panel.

I wet sanded with some 800 grit and then used micro polishing compound then 3M perfection. After closer inspection i can see some find sanding marks... if i brought it up to 1500 then buffed i'm sure they'd go away, but i was in a hurry and curious to see results. I have krylon "camoflage" flat black on the front fender, I'm going to find some krylon clear and spray over that and sand and see what results yield, as i'm sure the cheap walmart clear is not UV resistant and will probably yellow or crack or whatever when the Texas heat hits it this summer.

EDIT just checked out krylons site... the camouflage paint as well as the clear are both UV and fade resistant where as the walmart I'm sure probably isn't.

wow.... that looks REALLY good.. im wanting to get a better compressor and do my own.. so i may just paint it like you did until i save up to get the compressor i want.. lol when i was in school. we made fun of ppl that spray painted their cars.. i did my 84 ford f-150 4wd like that.. BUT... that was a reg spray job.... no way could you tell... or laugh at the job you did.. thanks for posting.

wow.... that looks REALLY good.. im wanting to get a better compressor and do my own.. so i may just paint it like you did until i save up to get the compressor i want.. lol when i was in school. we made fun of ppl that spray painted their cars.. i did my 84 ford f-150 4wd like that.. BUT... that was a reg spray job.... no way could you tell... or laugh at the job you did.. thanks for posting.

Yeah I've gotten alot of grief for rattle canning my car. Especially since I have all the equipment neccesary to do a regular 2 stage paint job. My father has been the worst, every time I go to visit he'll make remarks, last visit his jaw droped. lol. I hope this gives some other people some cheap alternate options when they can't afford a traditional 2 stage paint job.

-Ed

• 3 months later...

is it worth going with belton ya think? I'm looking to do this in the next month (next paycheck... lol)

My plan is to remove me bumpers, fill in with bondo, sand like a mofo, belt out a coat of primer, wet sand at 400, prime, wet at 800, prime, wet at 1500, then start painting, and do the whole shabang over again with flat black, then again with clear.

I want good UV resistance, though I'm in Seattle... lol

Which paint should I go with?