HybridZ

best route?

typhoone

okay, I got another Z the other day. it is a 1985 300zx, it is a GREAT car. it already has a t3/t4 turbo and a stage 3 clutch in it. the turbo is set at 9psi. we did a 3rd gear pull and it still barked, then TOOK OFF. now it is time to start getting it faster. so, my question is, what route should I take? I am in no rush, and everything is going to be done right. but here are the things I want to do to it:

short throw shifter (best one?)

cam (jwt is it worth it)

intercooler

gutted plenum

3 inch turbo back exhaust

nitrous

new pistons (what brand)

electronic boost controller (what brand)

bov (what brand)

new ecu or a tune (which and by who)

walboro 255 pump

new injectors

cam gears (who, what setting)

lighter flywheel

and anything else anyone wants to add. I don't plan on using this as my DD til around the end of summer, so I have plenty of time just let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance

-typhoone

Well, if I were you, I'd start with an intercooler. Turbo cams tend to be pretty well tuned from the factory, just waiting for higher boost. An intercooler (and boost controller) will allow you to hit that point.

I'd wait on getting a new fuel pump and injectors until you max out what the stock ones can do. A wide band O2 sensor would be a good investment as a safety measure while tuning. Make sure you don't run lean while turning up the boost.

Check out some of the stickies for re-tuning the ecu, and you'll get a better idea of what the stock system is capable of. Unless you want to completely rebuild the motor, I'd hold off on mechanical modifications to the engine. Stick with the things that won't have you constantly reaching for more. I've been subject to "While I'm at it..." syndrome several times.

z31performance.com has all of the info youre looking for also good reads are az-zbum.com(lots off info, not much on modifying),redz31.com(check out the turbo FAQ and his one off products *hint adjustable cam gears..) and lastly z31.com . get ready for a LONG night of reading...

welcome to the make your z31 faster than stock club...

ohh for some clues...

theres three different trannies...

for ecu tuning = NIStune or a romulator....

you can use off the shelf z32 pistons if you use z32 rods (yes they fit fine)

you should probably change your valvesprings if you go with an aftermarket cam ..

if you do all of the above your "restriction" for power will become your turbo and the ports on your stock heads (nothing that can't be fixed with money)

the stock pistons are the weak link on the engine but still strong enough for 400whp on a good tune.

okay,

who makes the best pistons?

with nistune or romulator would i be able to get rid of my speed govenor and raise my rev limit?

if i do get an aftermarket cam is JWT worth it?

do you mean there are 3 different borg warners? i know that is the one i have.

is the t3/t4 i have good enough to support 450 - 500 hp?

thanks for all your help

I wouldn't bother pulling my whole motor apart to change the pistons unless I really have to. Do some reading on how nistune and romulator work. Don't go buying anything unless you actually need it, especially if you don't know exactly what it will and won't do or how you're going to use it.

Check out Ray Hall Turbo Charging at

http://www.turbofast.com.au

and their turbo match calculator at

http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html

You can refrence the GT series back to the T non-ballbearing series to see what an equivelant model would be as a simple (well, somewhat simpler, but less expensive) upgrade to your car.

okay,

who makes the best pistons?

with nistune or romulator would i be able to get rid of my speed govenor and raise my rev limit?

if i do get an aftermarket cam is JWT worth it?

do you mean there are 3 different borg warners? i know that is the one i have.

is the t3/t4 i have good enough to support 450 - 500 hp?

thanks for all your help

i'm not sure which are the best brand of pistons nor do i think it should be a factor , considering you will be blowing up other stuff if you do change out the pistons (something else like the headgaskets will become the weakest link ) the stock rods are forged and they are said to be good for about 7500rpms, but the wrist pin bushing for the z32 pistons are slightly bigger than on the z31's. also considering you have a non-w block (pre 87) you have pressed in pins wich are even smaller in diameter compared to the w block floating pins. this is why getting either beefy z32 stock rods or aftermarket rods would be necessary . nobody makes an off the shelf piston for z31 rods so if you want to keep your stock rods , you will have to get customs pistons made. (read the sites!)

an aftermarket cam would be worth it if you did some head work, at a certain point the tiny ports on vg heads become an air restriction , you can easily get 10-15% better flow from a simple street port job ...(more on the site!)

there's three different trannys in the z31 , the weakest is supposed to be the T5 and the its followed by the fs5w71c which is the same transmission as in the 240sx and there's plenty of people dumpng clutches and drifting with those in their 240's , they are suppossed to be able to hold a good amount of power (something like 400whp) as long as you don't abuse it too much. the strongest is the fs5r30A which has the same internals as the z32tt tranny its the strongest and your best bet .

with a romulator /nistune you will be able to control everything , practically its you are able to change every parameter to the tune of your engine ,its pretty complicated stuff to learn and get right , you can easily blow up your engine if you don't know what you are doing or have a way to log what your engine is doing at a certain point in the run , i would leave this to a professional or somebody that knows about this stuff. its practically like hacking into your ecu and putting down new parameters , you can setup everything from tuning for bigger injectors or changing the parameters for say a z32 AFM .and yes you can raise your rev limiter and take off your speed governor...

depending on what t3/t4 you have you may be able to do 400hp , the t3 turbine will most likely start choking up .

what you should really do is get a realistic power goal and start building/planning , if youre only shooting for 400whp you may not have to touch the engine . there are people that have done it on completely stock blocks. and you should really start reading those links i posted , most modifications done to these engines have been documented and should give you a great idea what to do and buy for your car,power goals ....

again..

az-zbum.com for factory stuff like different trannys , wheels ,etc.

redz31.com (site) z31performance.com (forum) for anything z31 related.

and z31.com for archives and other modifications....

start reading!! :burnout: