HybridZ

1970 240z or 1978 280z need advice asap!!!

clsatt

I'm going to visit a guy in NC to buy a car. I had my sights set on an 02/70 probuction date 240z with some rust in the floor pans. I just found out from him that it has been sitting for 10 years and doesn't have a lagitimate title... and it doesn't run.:( also found out that he parted out the origional interior and replaced it with later model crap.

Now he does have a 280z that belonged to his son and is in good condition, minor rust, and has been slightly upgraded. he's selling it for the same price.

the 240 does not run, the 280 does. the 240 needs work, the 280 would be fine as is. I know someone will say "well, what do you plan on doing with it?" and its a good question. I want a daily driver that I can fix up as I go and have a "fun to drive" vehicle. I would also like to sell it at some point to get a "garage queen" Z car. I have no garage at the moment though so getting something to familurize me with the workings of the car and something to feed this hereditary addiction, to which I can blame my father, is my current goal.

to end this. would I be happy with the 280, or would it only end in dissappointment. I love the earlier Zs and I love classic 70s racing...:ugg:

damnit,

what do you think????

I would personnally go for the 280z because your wanting a daily driver. The 240z would be good for a full on restoration with new interior but you dont want that. The 280z you could probably drive home and do some minor work to get it good dependable condition. You could also begin doing some upgrades and fixing it up because the main work like major rust repair wouldnt have to be done.

Before you buy the 280z if you do be sure it doesnt have major rust. It might look like its minor but it might be major.

Good Luck

The 70 would be worth more fully restored than the 280 would be, but only if is was "original" Me personally, I would want more power as a 240 all stock would bore me. The 280 would probably be worth more with some nice mods then it would be stock. If you want to do a engine swap with efi, the 280 would be easier as it already has efi.

It sounds to me like you're trying to make a decision too quickly. Is the $$$ really burning a hole in your pocket... or is there another reason for this burning need to make a panic buy? You need to leave the "oh $hit... what to do?!" emotion out of this and buy logically. You'll have plenty of time to "dump" all your spare $$$ into a great little Z once you've made a calm and informed initial purchase ;)

well, I made the decision. I made some calls and found a garage I can use long enough to get it weather proofed and it runs now. I got the 240, its all origional and is vin # is 1222. I was stressing because it could be a huge investment if I restore it properly. I talked the guy out of a new dash, bumper, and tool kit, and I got him to trailer it back for me. I'll post some pics soon. I appreciate the imput, I wigout right before a major purchase, regardless of what I'm buying. anyway, thanks again,

chris