HybridZ

grinding noise when going into reverse gear on a 280zx

BobyYoo

Hi all,

im new here and i just bought a 1981 280zx. The car is in great original condition and has been garaged for some times. About 75000miles

When I drove it home, i had trouble going into reverse gear, it makes a loud grinding noise, it won't let me in the reverse gear.

I press the clutch few times, or go into 1st or 3rd gear. Then i go back to reverse and it works.

some people tells me to change the master and slave cyl or bleed the clutch etc...

The fluid was almost at max level, but the fluid was very dirty.

Do you think my tranny reverse gear is broken, or i just need to bleed and change the master and slave cyl ?? all the other gear works just fine, except the reverse.

Also, when i just start the engine and i press on the clutch, it makes some kind of noise, kind of bearing noise, but it is gone when the car is at normal temp. Should i have it check or is it just something to do with the clutch that has been sitting there for long time and the bearing are old?

tks

Boby

I'm in the same boat with you (83 280ZX) but everyone tells me "reverse synchro's with 1st" and that doesn't help me beucase litterally it's not expained more then that. but yeah sometimes even when I go 1st to R it grinds, or when I move the stick from N all the way to the right (not even a gear) it grinds.

I've had 3 different manual transmissions in my life and all of them don't want to go into reverse on occasion. I just let the clutch out and do it again. Works everytime. I have had two different 5 sp ZX transmissions and both of them make a bearing/very slight grinding sound when your running in neutral with the clutch out. I'm no transmission guy but the two transmissions are still going so....

yeah it seem to be a common problem.

the 1st gear trick does not always work, and someone tell me to try 5th gear then reverse.

It just seem to be a luck of a draw.

my idle is around 1000rpm. i will reduce it to 800rpm, maybe it will help getting into reverse.

A good read is http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question522.htm and http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm which explain a lot but I had the same problem and half of the problem was the throw out bearing and the other half was the fluid in the transmission, if you have 2-4 hours (1/2 - 2 hours if experienced) and some car ramps or jack stands prefer to use car ramps + a floor jack you can pull the transmission and inspect the clutch, the throw out bearing and change the fluid. if you do you might as well replace the throw out bearing around 10-30 dollars for new one. just my 2 cents.

Hmmmm....Wow....That must have been an airliner for you...WAYYYYY overhead. It was a joke. Do you honestly believe a muffler bearing exists? Check other things on that site...They have Elbow Grease...Come On...

hum looks like I missed that lol.

:icon44: thats what happens when you stay awake for too long, without caffine.