HybridZ

Are starters the same for LS1 and LS2's?

Anyone know if a starter off an LS1 motor will work on an LS2?

The on line parts stores I have looked at so far don't have listings for LS2 equiped cars (GOT's 2005+ Corvettes). But they do list a lot of truck motors that have the same starter as the F body LS1's. Would save me some $$ if I can pick one out of a pick and pull.

This is interesting. What do you mean by offset on the LS1? Can you explain in more detail what was different? Maybe a side by side pic if possible?

I had a Summit Protorque starter that I was going to use. Summit lists it as being for "LS" series motors. The two bolt holes were not exactly in line. One was slightly forward of the other. The starter bolted to the engine OK. But I sent it back because the pinion only half engaged the flywheel.

Looking more closely it seemed like the mount Summit came up with to adapt a Denso ministarter to the LS motor had the starter sitting about 1/8th of an inch farther back than it should have. The way it was built there wasn't anything they could have done about it. But other than the fore-aft placement it did bolt to the engine fine. If the battery lug hadn't been on the backside of the starter (next to the engine) I might have tried to see if the pinion engagement was adequate.

These LS2 motors are different from the earlier models. I found out last weekend the ignition controller I orginally bought does not work with the LS2 motors because of all the differnces in cam sensors and reluctor wheels.

maybe I'll post the same question on LS1TECH.com