HybridZ

Removing strut cartridge?

Guest Anonymous

I have a big crescent style adjustable wrench that I use on the thin hex nut on top. A big pipe wrench will work. A few times, a torch was employed to "loosen up" stubborn threads.There was one strut that it took 2 hours to get off since I did not wnt to get too liberal with the heat. This one car had stuts with the original struts and the threads were fairly frozen. The gland nut on top is more like a pipe bung with fine threads.

I got the nut off. Is there suppose to be any fluid in the strut tube? I pulled out the carts

and they were KYB's. I wiped them down and they

looked like new. I also cycled them up and down

and they feel fine. I think that the original

struts must have leaked and the fluid was never

drained out of the tubes when the previous owner

put in the KYB's.

Guest Anonymous

I have never figured that fluid out if it is from leaking hydraulic cartridges or is some kind of coolant for dampening friction heat build up. Are your cartidges GAS charged or oil. I have heard of fellows putting anti freeze in the strut tubes as coolant.Remember when sectioning struts afterwards to place front cartridges in the rear strut tubes and not use your rear cartrdges.

You are supposed to fill the space between the strut housing and strut cartridge with oil. Supposedly this works as a heatsink, transferring heat to the strut, which transfers it to the atmosphere, keeping the strut cartridge cool and keeping its action consistent.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I just did this last weekend so I might be able to add some tips.

Use a big pipe wrench to remove the nut. The oil is for coolant, I just used motor oil but several contacts including the dealer said it wasn't necessary. One cool thing I figured out is to bolt the strut housing back onto the wheel as the wheel is lying on the floor. Standing on the wheel and tire gives you great leverage for taking off the stubborn gland strut nuts.

Jer

"Standing on the wheel and tire gives you great leverage for taking off the stubborn gland strut nuts."

Just be careful you don't bend or twist your strut tube if you're having to apply that much force. I found two pipe wrenches on the nut and tube with the strut laying flat works fine. Keeping the wrenches close to each other and on a flat will minize any chance of twisting/bending. 280Z tubes are thicker wall and more forgiving. If it's really tight just position one wrench so you can just ease your full weight/foot onto it a couple inches above the ground....I had one once that took some forceful foot stomping but it still broke free.

good luck