HybridZ

Not Z related but need advice.

wheelman

I have some friends who want me to do an engine swap and some other work on a 1976 Datsun B-210. They aren't really sure what they are looking for engine wise but they want to go auto and not huge HP as it's for thier daughter. They are wanting to stay around $1000.00 for the cost of parts (yeah I know, not very realistic).

Anyway I found this on ebay the other day, the autction expired with no bids and has been relisted.

What do yo guys think? would this be a good canidate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=280086076684

Any other suggestions?

Wheelman

Well, the auction does not look to bad, hes got a lot of good feedback, price is in the range. Hope you are good at rewiring a car.As a Master auto tech I know you will have lots of wiring mods to do. Will have to factor in mods to the radator hoses, motor mounts, exhaust system. will need to hook up the o2 sensor to it for feedback to the ecu. mounting up the clutch. It sgoing to run way over a g by the time your done and be very labor intensive, just looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

If all they want to spend is $1000. Why not just spend the money on reconditioning the engine it has (whats it got A12,A14? or is it L series?). At least that way you spend all the money on the engine, and none on manufacturing conversion parts like engine mounts and cross member mods.

If its for their daughter, I guess they mostly want it to be reliable. Convert it to Electronic ignition.

Plus it would be quicker to do, but if your happy to volunteer your time to do all the work for nothing, then the CA18 isn't a bad engine.

Yea, if 1k is the budget for parts then I'd much sooner just drop that into the motor that's in there. Might even have enough cash to get it rebuilt if you're careful and DIY enough.

But if 1k were the absolute parts cost max, i'd try to source a motor for around $500, to leave plenty of room for other things that might need sorting out.

But all in all the CA18 is a nice motor. No slouch at all.

The plan now is to freshen the current motor (A14 I think) and swap in an automatic tranny. I like 240Zed's idea of an electronic ignition so maybe we'll put a Pertronics module in it.

After talking to the owners about the cost and complexity of an engine swap they decided against it, which I think is better anyway. The last thing I want is to be their mechanic for life because no one else will touch the car.

So now I searching for a B210 automatic transmission, shifter, driveshaft (maybe) and possible crossmember. If anyone knows of a junk B210 they could scavenge the parts from please let me know.

Wheelman