HybridZ

Rear Brake Parts Mis-Match 72 240Z

In the process of replacing rear brakes on a 72 240Z with all new parts. It appears a previous owner mis-matched shoes and cyliders from different year Datsuns. Here is what I found

-shoes on driver's side have a slot for an adjusting screw that sits above the brake cylinder between the cylinder and the hub.

-Driver's side brake cylinder does not have the adjuster wheel built into it. The adjuster is a rod that runs between slots cut in the shoes.

-Access to the driver's side adjuster is though a small slot in the backing plate.

- The only shoes I could find to match the driver's side (with slots for adjuster) are for a 77 Z. These 77 shoes also fit the passenger side, but the adjuster slots are not used because the passenger side wheel cylinder has the adjuster built into it.

- The passenger side wheel cylinder has the adusting wheel built into it. There is no adjustment slot in the backing plate. Adjustment is through a hole in the drum.

_ The hard pipe connects to the passenger side wheel cylinder at an angle from the front (angle towrds the front of the car) of the wheel cylinder. The stock wheel cylinders I looked at all have the hard pipe connecting at a right angle in near the center of the wheel cylinder.

UPDATE

checked the Chilton manual more closely. Our 240Z driver's side has a strut and backing plate off of a 77-78 Z. The passenger side is a stock 72 240Z.

I measured each strut from the bottom of the spring to the bottom of the strut tube. The 72 strut is 12 1/2 in. and the 77-78 strut is 13 3/4 in. long. The shorter 72 strut has spacer blocks wedged into the spring I assume in attempt to make the struts of equal length. This is a total PITA.

Looks like I'll have to find a 72 240Z strut to replace the 77-78 strut and then rebuild the brakes back to stock on both sides.

This has to be the Frankenstein of all brake set ups. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Miles

Miles,

Randy in Modesto has a near complete 280Z (suspension anyway) for close to nothing $ just sitting in his side yard. You could pick it up for the price of the tow and use all of it's pieces.

I'd pick it up myself except I can't afford to rent a dolly right now! :mad:

Davy

Davy

Thanks for the info. I picked up a complete 72 240z driver's side strut assembly complete with traverse arm yesterday. Cleaned it up today. Have all of my rear brake parts except for the wheel cylinders. Local parts stores having difficulty matching my cylinders. I'm going to try MSA Monday. If someone knows a good part number for the left and right wheel cylinders let me know. My cylinders have the hard pipe that connects at an angle from the front and the adjuster ratchet mechanism on the bottom. My z was manufactured 5/72.

Thanks

Miles