HybridZ

Who did you go to for carpeting??

phantaz

ive seen a few carpet kits available but the prices seem to jump around a lot and would like to get a newer style carpet type for my 280z but dont want some thing so cheap it comes apart in 2 years.

the only problem i have is, i have an early 77 and that has a raised trunk area with the back half angled up toward the hatch ... only the early 77s had this i guess cause ive never seen another like it.

thnx for your suggestions and comments in advance =)

Guest 280ZForce

I just bought some new carpet and cut it to fit myself. I got some of the good carpet from an upholstery shop. Also got some nice carpet foam pad for underneath the carpet.

But then I ended up ditching the raised 280z floor and made my own outta 1/2" mdf board and then was able to use the compartment storage behind the seats, so I made doors w/ lil handles on them.

So I ended up making the new mdf floor board I made lay on top of the existing metal floor on the body and then I bought then MSA 6"x9" speaker panel for the back.

Here's the result...

IMG_1703a.jpg

IMG_1705a.jpg

I just bought some new carpet and cut it to fit myself. I got some of the good carpet from an upholstery shop. Also got some nice carpet foam pad for underneath the carpet.

But then I ended up ditching the raised 280z floor and made my own outta 1/2" mdf board and then was able to use the compartment storage behind the seats, so I made doors w/ lil handles on them.

So I ended up making the new mdf floor board I made lay on top of the existing metal floor on the body and then I bought then MSA 6"x9" speaker panel for the back.

Here's the result...

IMG_1703a.jpg

IMG_1705a.jpg

Great idea 280zforce! Did you also use this carpet technique up front too? pic

Guest 280ZForce
Great idea 280zforce! Did you also use this carpet technique up front too? pic

i have the carpet for it, just havent taken out the stock stuff to cut out pattern yet.

i installed a msa carpet kit in my friends 280zx... he had a 4 or 5 piece kit i think. turned out really nice, i made some minor changes to it and made the 2 front pieces shaped a lil better where they met on top of trans tunnel. they make it where they overlap each other a few inches. i cut it to where they but up against each other for a nice seam line, real clean look. not like u see it though cuz console it over it. but i know...lol.

Usually, car upholstery places are very expensive, BUT they do that for a living and do awesome work (at least here in the Bay Area) or they don't survive. The best custom work in Zs I have seen uses Mercedes Benz carpeting and it is custom fitted. You can probably get similar results if you use very good quality carpet and take your time. The material is nearly as important as the install itself! The correct carpet makes the car look even better and "cleaner" inside. Just my $.02

Davy

Guest 280ZForce

Yes, i bought the stuff that was right under the Mercedes style carpet cuz they were outta it. I paid like $16/yard. The top 1 was i think $28/yard.

But yeah, I did it all myself, cut patterns and everything. I just bought the materials to do so. It's not too hard to do.

Yes, i bought the stuff that was right under the Mercedes style carpet cuz they were outta it. I paid like $16/yard. The top 1 was i think $28/yard.

But yeah, I did it all myself, cut patterns and everything. I just bought the materials to do so. It's not too hard to do.

Ah, that's one reason why your carpet job looks as good as it does. Very nice install. Ill fitting carpet kits look very cheap to me. I have one that I'll use as a pattern and do something much better than the cheapie weave they are made out of of :mad:

Davy

Guest 280ZForce
....I knew this would be expensive lol...

I agree, You get what you pay for. An upholster could also finish the edges instead just a rough cut. Those details really show.

I was gonna finish the edges but I put it in and liked it the way it was. plus my class semester ended and I dont have a commercial sewing machine to use at home. A normal home one wont work cuz material is too thick.