HybridZ

Z newbie steering rack bushing question...

Guest marc poole

Guest marc poole

Hi everyone,

First-timer here...(go easy on me!) I recently purchased a turd of a 1973 240Z that has suffered at the hands of less-than-thoughtful owners for too long. The car was missing the driver's side steering rack bushing, and the pass. side was pretty rough, with the clamp very loose and obviously a whole lotta slop in the steering. The car has a power steering rack. I ordered a poly bushing kit from Black Dragon, and the set they sent is obviously incorrect. I called to inquire if there were differences in the bushings for a manual rack vs. a power rack, and they said the bushings they had would fit both. The replacements are obviously too small in diameter, with different contours. Can anyone tell me what I need, and what I have? Is this a replacement rack from a later car? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am attaching pics of the grubby rack on my car with a pic of the ID #'s, and a pic of the old and new pass. side bushings. The old bushing had a hole for one of the PS lines to run through, and hasd a totally different contour with a much larger inside diameter.

thanks again for any help!

marc

z1_thumb.jpg

z2_thumb.jpg

z3_thumb.jpg

Guest marc poole

OK, so the more I dig, I'm realizing this probably isn't the way Datsun intended this car to be set up... 240Z's never came with power steering, correct? Can anyone identify what kind of rack this is, or what it came from? What's the wisest move; replace the unit with a stock 240Z unit, or go with a quicker ratio 280Z unit? I'd ultimately like to autocross it at some point. Suggestions?

Marc Poole, Your right the 240 -280z didn't come with power steering. Does the car have all the hydrolic lines hooked up to a Power steering pump? If they are then I would suggest to grind out the inside diamemeter of the new bushings to fit the PS rack. I used a dremel tool with a mini sanding drum on it. It took me quite a bit of time to do it but it's possable. It doesn't need to be a perfect fit. Actually thats what I did to install my Subaru Rack in my 24o. I think that's the easiest , cheapest way. Good luck.

Guest marc poole

Thanks for the reply. The farther I dig on this car, the more I realize that it would probably be best to take all this old junk off and put it back the way it should have been...it has suffered some serious "reverse engineering." The PS lines were connected, but there was no fluid and no belt to the pump. I removed the pump and brackets to discover that the driver's side engine mount bracket was upside-down to accomodate a flat-bar "conversion" that was attached to the lower rail with sheet metal screws...needless to say, that has now been removed as well. I'm guessing that it had been rigged possibly to accomodate clearance issues with what they decided to put back on the car. I think I'm safest going back with an original rack. At least I can ditch all the weight from the junk I have taken off.

I'm now searching for the best place to get a rack...Motorsports is out of stock with a shipment of NOS racks inbound within a month, but I'm sure they'll be pricey. Black Dragon is over $400, and they are cheaper at AutoZone and O'Reilly's. Steeringrack.com has them for under $300. Does anyone have any advice of quality vs. price, and a recommendation of who to get a rack from?

thanks again-

marc

Thanks for the reply. The farther I dig on this car, the more I realize that it would probably be best to take all this old junk off and put it back the way it should have been...it has suffered some serious "reverse engineering." The PS lines were connected, but there was no fluid and no belt to the pump. I removed the pump and brackets to discover that the driver's side engine mount bracket was upside-down to accomodate a flat-bar "conversion" that was attached to the lower rail with sheet metal screws...needless to say, that has now been removed as well. I'm guessing that it had been rigged possibly to accomodate clearance issues with what they decided to put back on the car. I think I'm safest going back with an original rack. At least I can ditch all the weight from the junk I have taken off.

I'm now searching for the best place to get a rack...Motorsports is out of stock with a shipment of NOS racks inbound within a month, but I'm sure they'll be pricey. Black Dragon is over $400, and they are cheaper at AutoZone and O'Reilly's. Steeringrack.com has them for under $300. Does anyone have any advice of quality vs. price, and a recommendation of who to get a rack from?

thanks again-

marc

I have a stock '71 sans outer tie rod ends and a tight u-joint you can have for shipping and whatever UPS charges to pack it up. I replaced it with a subaru ps rack. If you're interested, send me a pm.

g

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

First-timer here...(go easy on me!) I recently purchased a turd of a 1973 240Z that has suffered at the hands of less-than-thoughtful owners for too long. The car was missing the driver's side steering rack bushing, and the pass. side was pretty rough, with the clamp very loose and obviously a whole lotta slop in the steering. The car has a power steering rack. I ordered a poly bushing kit from Black Dragon, and the set they sent is obviously incorrect. I called to inquire if there were differences in the bushings for a manual rack vs. a power rack, and they said the bushings they had would fit both. The replacements are obviously too small in diameter, with different contours. Can anyone tell me what I need, and what I have? Is this a replacement rack from a later car? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am attaching pics of the grubby rack on my car with a pic of the ID #'s, and a pic of the old and new pass. side bushings. The old bushing had a hole for one of the PS lines to run through, and hasd a totally different contour with a much larger inside diameter.

marc

Mark, you may have had a Subaru power steering: the bushing you show that is round on one side and square on the other looks, to me, to be the passenger side bushing for a Subaru Impreza [WRX] or such.

g

Hi everyone,

marc

Sorry Marc, but that rack is not any Subaru I've seen. The "OKC" label rings a bell, but google has 10,00 hits for OKC as in Oklahoma City.

g

Guest marc poole

Thanks for the input...looks like I dove in over my head with this car. I bolted up the rack sent by zgeezer (thanks!), and realized how much other stuff I'm missing...the outer tie rods, the passenger-side cap that holds the rack in place, and it also looks like something is amiss with the steering shaft from the rack to the firewall...the one on the car isn't long enough. The driver's side engine mount has been "re-engineered" and I'm looking for a source to get another...not just the rubber pad, but the brackets. Wondering how much space is supposed to be between the oil pan and rack, and the proper clearance for the steering shaft...this car has already become an albatros...I'll gladly swap the old power rack and pump for anything that might help me get this POS driveable again....

Thanks for the input...looks like I dove in over my head with this car. I bolted up the rack sent by zgeezer (thanks!), and realized how much other stuff I'm missing...the outer tie rods, the passenger-side cap that holds the rack in place, and it also looks like something is amiss with the steering shaft from the rack to the firewall...the one on the car isn't long enough. The driver's side engine mount has been "re-engineered" and I'm looking for a source to get another...not just the rubber pad, but the brackets. Wondering how much space is supposed to be between the oil pan and rack, and the proper clearance for the steering shaft...this car has already become an albatros...I'll gladly swap the old power rack and pump for anything that might help me get this POS driveable again....

Marc, does your z have the Datsun "L" series 6 or is it an engine swap? If it is a stock "L" series 6 cylinder engine it sounds as if all you need might be a new stock front cross member and a steering shaft. I think all S230s use the same steering shaft. If you can't find the parts in your neck of the woods or off this site, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact with my JY. He has at least one series 1 240 and a number of 280s. All with front cross members and steering shafts. Buy new motor mounts.

g

the engine might have been raised slightly to clear the subi rack. Make sure it doesn't just have some type of spacer added. The steering shaft was probably cut/modified for the same reason. You will probably have to source a replacement shaft. Examine the crossmember closely to see if it has been cut or pieces added on. I'm sure I've seen pictures of them out of the car on this site to compare to (search) You may just need a new bracket that goes between the motor mount and crossmember. Post a picture of it. If the engine was raised to accomidate the subi rack you will want it back to stock once the stock rack is back in. Zgeezers question about the engine type is an important one. (something earlier in the thread made me think it was a V8 swap) The previous owner probably went through a lot of trouble to swap this rack into the car, Why did you swap it out?

Guest marc poole

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the responses and advice. It's been bad timing for me...I'm in the process of relocating with work to the MS Gulf Coast and finding time to get everything done is getting problematic, hence the frustration with the Z and a lack of knowledge or time to fully sort it out myself. I'll post some pictures of the Z to see if you guys can spot what i'm missing...it's the stock motor (best I can tell). I wanted to go back stock just after seeing how this thing has been put together...I don't trust anything on the car. Momsz suggestion that the engine was probably raised sounds correct...the bracket on the driver's side of the motor was upside-down with a piece of bent flat bart bolted to it, with sheet-metal screws attaching it below the original support point. The steering rack was also missing a bushing, and was just hanging loose. I had no idea what I was looking If decided I should start from scratch...the crossmember looks OK, but the steering shaft is obviously incorrect or modified.

I'll get some pics posted...thanks again!

marc

Hi Marc,

My son and I have two 240z's, but we are only rebuilding one of them. I have an extra steering rack, cross-member, steering column, etc. Let me know if you'd be interested in those. You'll want to buy a few pieces like tie-rods and boots, but we can talk through those items.

Regards,

Guy

Guest marc poole

Thanks for the help. I finally posted some pics of my car at http://www.marcpoole.com/240z.html

Was out of town house-shopping over the weekend, hence the delay. For those of you guys I'm swapping parts with, let me know if you need anything off of mine...I have the old rack, PS pump, plus some AC parts that won't be going back on. I appreciate your generosity!

I put several pics on the page...I have zgeezer's '71 rack bolted up (but I have the wrong cap on the pass. side). Is all I need the outer tie rods to get it connected? Also, note how short the steering shaft is...

...any suggestions?

thanks-

marc

Thanks for the help. I finally posted some pics of my car at http://www.marcpoole.com/240z.html

Was out of town house-shopping over the weekend, hence the delay. For those of you guys I'm swapping parts with, let me know if you need anything off of mine...I have the old rack, PS pump, plus some AC parts that won't be going back on. I appreciate your generosity!

I put several pics on the page...I have zgeezer's '71 rack bolted up (but I have the wrong cap on the pass. side). Is all I need the outer tie rods to get it connected? Also, note how short the steering shaft is...

...any suggestions?

thanks-

marc

Marc, the steering shaft is not the right one. I don't even think it is a modified stock shaft. You need to replace it with one from any 240-280Z. All you need to complete the steering change appears to be a right and left hand outer tie rods, a steering shaft, and a correct cap for the passenger side. That 240 rack is off an early series 1 1971 240Z.

Would you clean up that p/s rack and post close up photos. I'd like to identify its' origen. If you can't find the steering shaft locally, contact me. I can source them locally from a JY.

g

Guest marc poole

G-I'll clean up the rack and snap some more pics for you. i'll also snap some pics of my inventory of parts I've removed if you or Guy are interested in any of it. I ordered outer tie rod ends, motor mounts, and some other things from Black Dragon today, so hopefully that will get me one step closer. I'll see if I can strike a deal with Guy regarding a steering shaft. Do you think you could help me find a pass. side cap for the steering rack? I have the old one cinched down pretty tight, but I'd rather find a correct one.

thanks-

marc

G-I'll clean up the rack and snap some more pics for you. i'll also snap some pics of my inventory of parts I've removed if you or Guy are interested in any of it. I ordered outer tie rod ends, motor mounts, and some other things from Black Dragon today, so hopefully that will get me one step closer. I'll see if I can strike a deal with Guy regarding a steering shaft. Do you think you could help me find a pass. side cap for the steering rack? I have the old one cinched down pretty tight, but I'd rather find a correct one.

thanks-

marc

Marc, I have a cap. PM over your mailing address and I'll send it to you tomorrow or so.

g

Guest marc poole

Hi guys-

I added a few more pics today of the cleaned-up rack that I took off the car. Over the weekend, I installed the new tie rod ends, and replaced the front sway bar bushings with new polyeurethane bushings while I was at it. I had ordered a new set of engine mounts, but the little locator pins on the new mounts seem to be spaced a bit farther out from the old ones, and didn't match my crossmember, so I buttoned it back up with the old ones. Any ideas??? Looks like everything else is getting there...adequate clearance with the oil pan now, just waiting on pinning down the right steering shaft (unless I discover some other modification from the steering column side...) I bought the Haynes manual and the How to Restore Your Z book, so that gives me a clearer path to follow...