HybridZ

How do i get the clutch line off. 83 280zx

nbesheer

Okay I can get the hose off at the slave but I can't figure out how to get the other end off. Theres the metal line from the master, then a braket, then the hose. The hose end looks like it's mounted into the bracket and looks like it has to be removed from the metal line side but I can't get the nut thing to move and I'm afraid I'm doing it wrong, and my haynes doesn't help at all.

You should be able to turn the flare nut (compression fitting whatever the proper name is) on the tube. Actually, it is easy to do before you take out the clip.

Make sure you're using a 10mm flare nut wrench or else you'll risk stripping the flare nut. If that happens, then you'll need to replace the hard line.

Good luck!! I'm planning on doing this myself this weekend. mmmm...braided brake and clutch lines...

Cheers, -Hugh

Flare nut wrench is like an open end wrench except instead of the box end open at 180 degrees, it is more like (360-360/6) = 300 degrees. Just so you can slip the opening over the 3/16" hard line. It will wrap around five sides of the nut instead of just two...waaaayy better!!

Twisted lines aren't good. The ductile material is now "work hardened" and now is more brittle. I'd suggest getting new ones, but that costs a little bit of $$ (of course).

Hope you can get it done soon.

Later, -Hugh

{Edit} WTF was I thinking? open at 60 degrees (not 300) so you can just slip the opening over the hard line. Use a cresent wrench to hold the hose end fitting...