HybridZ

240Z vs. 280Z Steering Rack Bushings (Pics)

OK guys, here's the difference between the early (240Z) and late (280Z) S30 Z rack bushings. These are the 2 different sets from MSA and are G Machine parts. The outer & inner dimensions are the same, but the extra thickness on the sides is very different. Here you go!

1-240vs280_RackBushings1.jpg

1-240vs280_RackBushings3.jpg

When I replaced the rack bushings on my 240 with the ploy Energy Suspension units I had to put an extra layer of rubber in to keep them from moving around. I think the Energy Suspension kit uses the same parts for the 240 and 280, they looked like the ones labeled as for the 240 from the pictures above.

Wheelman

They do list 2 different bushing kits, however, there is a typo on their online (and probably written) catalog. It shows 70-78 240Z and then the 74-78 260Z/280Z part. If you had to add material to get them tight, it sounds like someone may have put a 280 rack in your car at one time or the bushing they make is too thin. I'm thinking it's probably the first scenario.

1970-78 240Z Rack and Pinion Bushing Set 7.10101

1974-78 260, 280Z Rack and Pinion Bushing Set 7.10102

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/nis1.html

The 240Z rack has an aluminum mount and housing on the driver's side where the steering rod mounts to the rack. The 280Z rack has a steel housing. Even if it's dirty, you should be able to tell from the amount of bushing material that's on either side of the mounting bracket and the rack mount. Hope this helps. I'm hoping to get a side by side pic of both racks and put it with the bushing pics, just so everyone has a clear picture of the differences.

1-240Rack1.jpg

You can also see that the 280Z rack (below) has 2 bolts on the top of the splined input shaft area of the housing, where the 240Z rack (above) does not.

1-280Rack1.jpg

Pop, do you mean the bracket that is just to the left of the mount surface (where the bushing goes) that is held in place by what looks like a hefty muffler clamp? If so, it is not unique to the 240 because my 280 has it. It is a bolt on braket which has a rubber snubber on the other side that isn't showing in that picture, and is a stop to keep the rack from rotating in it's original soft mounts I believe. It doesn't come on replacement racks and must be swapped over from the old rack most the time, so I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot got left off. But they are on 280z originally.

Pop, do you mean the bracket that is just to the left of the mount surface (where the bushing goes) that is held in place by what looks like a hefty muffler clamp? If so, it is not unique to the 240 because my 280 has it. It is a bolt on braket which has a rubber snubber on the other side that isn't showing in that picture, and is a stop to keep the rack from rotating in it's original soft mounts I believe. It doesn't come on replacement racks and must be swapped over from the old rack most the time, so I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot got left off. But they are on 280z originally.

Yeah, that is the one. The reason I thought it is unique to the 240 rack is because that is what the pictures in the Black Dragon parts catalog show. The 240 rack has that clamp and the 260-280 rack has no such part on their illustration.

FWIW

The 260Z also has the clamp-on bumper. Not sure if it will be necessary after I put the ES bushings in, but I'll reinstall it anyway.

- Greg -

Put it on there anyway. If Nissan never put it there we would be calling it a "mod" and making it out of billet! :wink: