HybridZ

Arizona Z 4 Barrel Intake Setup

badjuju

Hey everyone, I just ripped my old intake and my old holley 390 off my 240, and slapped on a brand new 390, Arizona Z Car Intake, along with ripping off my exhaust mani and installing a used (what i believe to be an msa) header.

I got the header for $60 from craigslist, and on my way out the kid hands me a muffler that looks like it's brand new. Tells me that when he messed up his 72, he parted almost everything out, but swapped his old exhaust into his new 240. This header came on the new 240, with this muffler bolted right onto the header. I said "why wasn't there a full exhaust setup?" to which he replied, "the previous owner of this car did the sound bytes for the "240zx" in Forza Motorsports"! SUH-WEET!

He also said his buddy gave him nissanpacific.com to run.

Now, does anyone know that this stuff is not true? I haven't compared my sound to any of the sounds in the game, but it does sound pretty sick (sick is good, for all you who bought your 240zs from a dealership... haha just kidding). Also, Forza DOES have a 240zx in it, I have wondered since I first played the game; was there ever a 240zx?

Anyhow, the car started right up after installing all my new toys, though it idled around 4k. Cranked the advance back down to 6 btdc, and it came down to about 1500. The idle adjustment screw is totally off the throttle

and it's still up there. I cover the carb while it's running, it still runs, just drops down to 600ish and stays running. I spray carb cleaner all over the intake points, anywhere there might be a manifold leak, nothing. doesn't even make the engine shudder.

I'm thinking, wtf, mate? Oh well, I tuned it around to run as well as possible, so now I can drive it, though I still need to adjust the choke, as it pulls it up to 2500, and stays there too long imo. After about a half hour of driving it will drop the idle back down to 1500, and I think it should turn off ~5 minutes after it's started. So, I still get to tune around with it.

Now, I call Arizona Z, and Dave tells me that often times the brake booster on a car this old will create a vaccuum leak. So, I'm gonna start today off by vice gripping the booster's vaccum line while it's running, and hopefully that'll fix my problem.

Anyhow, just wanted to tell everyone that the setup just up and worked, Dave helped me out on the fly when I called him up, and I'm very happy with the way my car runs with its new setup.

I'll further post when I take some pics of the engine bay and stuff, I powdercoated the Intake in my buddy's garage, it's got a new carb, and the header is painted black.

• 9 months later...

Well... i bought this stuff, from you. i waven't quite finished all of it, our damn weather here sucks ass. hopefully i can finish everything up soon, but i might be getting a 280z soon, so im kinda debating whether i wait for that and do an engine swap with the 5-speed, or i just finish this now. gimme that muffler if you still have it.